Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Brighton trailer wiring

Did the Legacy wagons have a trailer wiring harness plug-in from the factory? I can find the "no slice" direct plug in kits that "fit" 1996 Legacy Brightons, but I definitely cannot find the plug-in in the car. I'm assuming the manufacturers are incorrect or the factory wiring is only present on Outbacks?

Did the Legacy wagons have a trailer wiring harness plug-in from the factory? I can find the "no slice" direct plug in kits that "fit" 1996 Legacy Brightons, but I definitely cannot find the plug-in in the car. I'm assuming the manufacturers are incorrect or the factory wiring is only present on Outbacks?

only on the outbacks from the factory.

I just wired my 98 Brighton for a trailer. I built the trailer too.

The tricky thing is that most trailers are set up with one wire for tail lights, and one for turn signals on each side. Somehow, the brakes get worked in too.

In my case, without a bunch of diodes I didn't have handy, I had to wire for a flat 4 plug plus one separate wire. The separate wire does the tail lights. The flat 4 plug does left, right, and brakes.

If anyone else uses my trailer with a flat 4 plug, it will work. If I use another trailer with a flat 4 plug, it will work until I have to turn on the headlights, and then the trailer will stay dark.

Scomber Sanctus