Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally picked it up 1976 Subaru Coupe

too rare and too nice/rustfree to risk rally damage. drag car or show car. I say keep all the bondo on it, just fix/finish the shaping job on it. I once stripped a car of bondo, and in the end, just had to reapply the stuff. In the end, if i would have just added more and finished the body work it would have turned out better than going thru work that someone has already started.

You will spend 8 times the labor and time to strip it off, than if you just spend some time to fix/sand, shape what is there already. If there are cracks, then grind the cracks down, but if it is still good leave it alone.

Where did you find this car? MO or IA

Edited by bheinen74

too rare and too nice/rustfree to risk rally damage. drag car or show car. I say keep all the bondo on it, just fix/finish the shaping job on it. I once stripped a car of bondo, and in the end, just had to reapply the stuff. In the end, if i would have just added more and finished the body work it would have turned out better than going thru work that someone has already started.

You will spend 8 times the labor and time to strip it off, than if you just spend some time to fix/sand, shape what is there already. If there are cracks, then grind the cracks down, but if it is still good leave it alone.

Where did you find this car? MO or IA

A good bit of the bondo is flaking off, some of it was VERY thick :P It shouldn't take too long to get the body down to steel, since most of it is very clean, but the "frenching" in of the flares and fin are heavy with bondo... I'll just leave it as normal seams.

I picked up some stuff for my car and stopped by to visit it.. :3 Would you believe it's now sitting under a brand new car cover :P Why have it start rusting now? :)

I really do like the way it looks, but I'm still wondering what to do and to what level I fix it... :)

More pictures for fun:

Soo angry looking and I LOVE it!

IMAG0713.jpg

Very Mad Max!

IMAG0714.jpg

The massive tape player, with the add-on thingy *on dash* AND factory air conditioning!!! I want to keep both! :D

IMAG0715.jpg

The second owner from early in it's life to recently was a worker in the 250 and 500 mile Baja races... Vintage Sticker FTW!!!

IMAG0716.jpg

I normally HATE sunroofs in anything... but the dual lids are sooo cool!

IMAG0717.jpg

That sunroof is wild.

I hope I can make it look good, and tidied up, it's a positive locking system, so I imagine it's not very prone to leaking.. I HATE a leaky sunroof, it makes me thing RUST! and also, getting a splash of water in the crotch is a bummer when you're on your way to work...

i understand that its rare but this thing still screams rally mobile to me

It's massively tempting really. :)

IMAG0716.jpg

Looks like a dash plaque given to entrants/competitors.

oh , forgot ...FTW !! LOL

Hehe, I dont think I'll throw away the sticker... I'll definitely keep it somewhere in the interior, or maybe just glue it down tighter there :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, got a bit done to her...

Located a windshield, roof skin, hood....

Thanks Danny!

Also, got a start on my removal and repairs...

IMAG0796.jpg

Not sure why there was so much body filler here... I guess some potato head felt two gallons was the right amount to apply... Note: only three small dings, they'll pop out fairly easily!

IMAG0788.jpg

It'll look WAY better with a fresh roof skin and some primer :)

IMAG0790.jpg

I believe it was used as a shelf at one point and filled with BONDO! There was literally an inch of bondo, about half way across the rear portion of the "frenched" sunroof!

IMAG0791.jpg

Another shot of me carefully removing the spot welds... I was thinking of saving a large slab of the bondo, to show what kind of chunk was on the roof!

IMAG0797.jpg

Luckily, things are cleaning up well! It seems that the metal is straight and smooth and not rusty on parts that arent the roof... :P

I keep coming back and looking at this car. It's just trick. I like the yellow on it. It'd look kool with a new vinyl top and the bight yellow paint.

I'm debating on the vinyl roof, but I might do it up in black... I dunno yet, I love the yellow!

I might go with this style... Replacing the red with yellow:

56296154.jpg

It's a very 1970's appropriate paint scheme... I'd have to do something with the fender flares and duck tail bit though... *scratches chin*

Looking good.

When I get around to mine I will stay Yellow. I like a slightly brigher yellow thaqn original.

I had no idea there were so many of these around! not really a bunch, but a good few left in the world! :)

Got a few more chunks done today:

I exposed more metal...

IMAG0804.jpg

Another angle of the pass. side...

IMAG0803.jpg

In the middle of taking out the ugly roof...

IMAG0805.jpg

A bit tidier, I coated the freshly exposed metal with some rust proofing... I still need to trim some more off, but it's coming along nicely.

IMAG0806.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

Think so? I do like it, but honestly not many had much interest in it... I'm good at making fiberglass parts, but have nowhere to make em...

I'll take a few of them. I can't believe that the other old school guy don't have much interest. I bet you could sell at least a dozen of them here on the board then many more on ebay? Please reconsider making some copies of them.:grin:

Yeah, its made out of bondo. He said so in the other thread before he picked up the car.

I don't think it is made out of bondo. There might be some bondo on it but I don't think it's made out of it. Also it may or may not be a factory option but you can tell it was made for a Subaru coupe. It fits the lines too good to just be some generic spoiler. I know I would love to have one for my coupe.

Also he didn't say it was made out of bondo and he said that the spoiler looked OEM.

This is correct! now, they DID try frenching it in WITH a 1/4" of bondo, but thankfully the gel-coat rejected it fairly well and it came off with a putty knife in HUGE sheets :3 the more bondo I peel off, the prettier the car gets!

edit:

And the more REAL fiberglass I uncover, the better the body lines are matched, this was likely a very high quality after market kit OR the dude/gal that made these parts was SKILLED as hell and had lots of time on thier hands...

Edited by Legacy RallyGuy