Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru EA82 to Subaru EJ205

PRND3L

Yes I know there is a write up on doing the engine swap, so before you go shooting me down on something probably posted; hear me out.

I might be buying an '03 WRX, if I buy the entire car I would be interested in taking the engine, transmission, and several other parts to install on my Loyale.

Does the swap guide include EJ20, and is there a swap guide/reference for the transmission also?

Thanks

Edited by PRND3L

So, you know OF the write-up, but chose not to read it, or even look at it?

I have nothing to add here :rolleyes:

I actually have your write up on my computer, read it several times. Its a legit question. Mostly because you only see EJ22 and EJ25 being swapped, I would assume that the EJ20 would be the same as the 22 and 25 but i could also be wrong.

Thanks for answering the question.

I actually have your write up on my computer, read it several times. Its a legit question. Mostly because you only see EJ22 and EJ25 being swapped, I would assume that the EJ20 would be the same as the 22 and 25 but i could also be wrong.

Well, there's a few different EJ20's. Are you talking about the turbo or the n/a version?

If the turbo version (which I'm assuming is the case), then you need a turbo EA82 crossmember to clear the up-pipe. The rest of the swap is mechanically close, however I would advise using the EJ AWD transmission because the EA82's don't handle a lot of power in FWD very well. Handling gets sketchy, especially in the rain. Using an EJ 5spd also lets you use the better clutches available to EJ's.

The wiring will be different, as the turbo cars have more sensors and solenoids. Get a factory service manual (FSM) for the donor car you're swapping the EJ20 from.

Well, there's a few different EJ20's. Are you talking about the turbo or the n/a version?

If the turbo version (which I'm assuming is the case), then you need a turbo EA82 crossmember to clear the up-pipe. The rest of the swap is mechanically close, however I would advise using the EJ AWD transmission because the EA82's don't handle a lot of power in FWD very well. Handling gets sketchy, especially in the rain. Using an EJ 5spd also lets you use the better clutches available to EJ's.

The wiring will be different, as the turbo cars have more sensors and solenoids. Get a factory service manual (FSM) for the donor car you're swapping the EJ20 from.

Turbo Version

Not buying the car anymore, it didnt have the correct components to complete the front half of the 4 to 5 lug suspension swap.

^makes no sense. lol

how could it not have the correct components. ha ha

There is a write up on how to take parts from a certain year/model range of Impreza based on VIN; this impreza is not an impreza I could take the parts from to do the swap

There is a write up on how to take parts from a certain year/model range of Impreza based on VIN; this impreza is not an impreza I could take the parts from to do the swap

To any future members that search for the 5-lug swap and find this thread. Thank you so much for searching, you're on the right track!!!! But this comment is entirely false, continue your search for correct information elsewhere.

• 4 years later...

Edited by Nubaru1401

• 3 weeks later...

I am doing this exact same swap, there is not a lot of information on it. Also i am swapping the dash over I have all the parts including ecus and dashes. Cant wait to dig in once I have some free time.