Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm having the timing belt and water pump done on my 2002 Legacy GT this week. I'm going to one of the mechanics from the shop I always use and he's going to do the work in his garage on his off day for me. I'm going to supply the belt, water pump and seals. He's also going to do my brakes (rotors and pads), which I am also supplying. He's going to charge me $200 labor for the work. Is that a good deal?

imho, yes. good for you and good for him.

he will spend less than a day earning $200. that's more than $25 per hour. lots more if he does it all in 4 hours, but he probably won't. not for brakes and timing belt.

the shop charges, what, $75 - $85 per hour. and their fees are based on the ''book time'' not the actual time.

Edited by johnceggleston

that's a great deal if you're getting (as it says you are) someone that knows what they're doing. i wouldn't do a timing belt alone for under $200, not worth my time.

i would replace the timing pulleys while you're at, hardly any extra labor and a certain percentage will not make it to the next timing belt change. ebay kits are reasonable for all new tensioner, idler sprocket and two pulleys.

good price on labor for brakes and T-Belt, assuming he does know Subaru's .

If he is not used to a T belt job on a Subaru, he may hose this up and worst on that is you are looking at pulling heads and getting new heads, or new valves. You have a interference motor, and if the Tbelt job is done wrong it is COSTLY>

I went to Ron's Auto in Ames. Really awesome guys who know their stuff.

Price, well I guess it depends on the chances you want to take or the time you

can dedicate. I believe in terms of Non dealership garages, often times you get what you pay for, and I avoid chains if possible; though they are not always bad.