Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 81 Timing

louisianasubaru

I have a EA81 subaru in one of my boats. not sure what year its out of but it has points in the distributer and has push rods no timing belt.(this is what the auto part store always ask me when i go in). i put a weber 32/36 carb on it and made a huge difference. i was woundering if anyone could tell me what is the timing settings for it? it back fires to the exhaust and gets the headers so hot they actually messed up the fiberglass in the boat. it has what i think is where u can time it off the fly weel by a hole in the flywheel. i have a timing light and my dad is a mechanic. we are just trying to get the settings. any help would be greatly apprechiated.

I would like to know if anyone knows the points gap for the distributer. Also my motor does not have the timing tab with marks for me to get 8 degrees. once it gets to operating after about 15 minutes of running it starts to miss. tried adjusting on the fly but it doesnt clear up so im figuring its something with the points? I will aslo add some pictures of the boat to put up on here.

Edited by louisianasubaru
need a few more things

I will get some pictures. have plenty of the boat but not of the motor sitting in it. will post soon. Its in a mud boat, which is exactly what it sounds like. doest need much water as long as the mud is soft it will go through it. its been in just mud and grass with no problem and is a blast