Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat Power issues

I have a 1985 Brat, new alternator, new battery (both replaced in the last 6 months) now a new starter. I have been driving the car daily, yesterday it stalled on me and wouldn't restart which led me to the starter. Repl the starter, wouldn't start, jumped her and she fired right up. Now Alternator is not reading any volts on the gauge and car won't run longer than a few minutes from the jump. Running out of options and could use some advice!

Thanks!

Coils in the Brats are prone to failure. If your coil has been going bad, it might cause some issues similar to your situation. Just a guess. A more thorough description of the dying process might enlighten us more. Does it just die off? Or does it cut in and out? ?

As Northguy said, some more details would make it easier to diagnose.

Do all of your idiot lights shut off as well when it dies?

Does everything just cut and you have nothing until it randomly decides to work again?

If that's the case, try looking at your ignition wires under the dash, or your fusible links in the engine bay.

either may be failing.

The ignition wires run through the under side of the steering column.

They should just be hanging after you pull the plasric cover off, make sure not to fubar your turn signal while you're in there.

The fusible links are in a little box on the passenger side of the engine bay, right in front of the strut mount.

The black one is main power, I think it's a 50 or 60 amp.

That one should be your first suspect.

The other 2 (or 3 if you have extra accesories) will be green and red.

Those should be inspected while you're in there as well.

Twitch