Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I own my Subaru "BumbleBeast" since new, in 1985, but this Writeup is Not regarding that wagon, This is regarding the other yellow wagon I had for short time, which originally was purchased as a "Parts Car" and then was turned onto my Subaru Loyale 2.7 Turbo Project.

 

It lasted some years, it was fun, but the turbo was never attempted to be installed, although I had the EA82T pistons on a shelf... the Overheating and other issues demotivated me; and now that 2.7 Wagon is Dead, was in a huge frontal crash, you can read the whole story in the Following web link:

 

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/113641-could-this-be-the-end-of-my-27-project/

 

However, I did a restoration to the Body of that 2.7 Wagon, and here I will share the step by step procedures that I followed, plenty of detailed photos, that I hope might be useful for you.

 




First of all, the Previous owner of this Wagon had a Short Garage, so the Rear part was sticking outside, the caribbean rainy weather thcharacter0292.gif in Honduras had rusted parts of it that I had repaired in the Past. But Now, I Decided to first, Remove all the Paint and everything else to expose the bare Metal Sheet.



 

Subie02.jpg


 

Subie03.jpg

 

inside and outside, I removed Everything!

 

Subie01.gif


 

Surprise! ... I Discovered that the area around the Fuel Filler cap of the Car had a Minor Hit that Pushed one inch the Sheetmetal to the inside, and the Previous Owner, instead of Fixing that, covered the area with Bondo; and it was even Worse: There was Rust Hiding behind that! thangry.gif


 

Subie04.jpg


 

So I Used a Tool to Remove that Bondo:


 

Subie06.gif

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Removed Everything and this is how the Rust was:

 

Subie07.jpg

 

it even went to the inside!  thcant20be.gif

 

Subie05.jpg

 

So I ended Removing all the Damaged Metal Sheet from the Car:

 

Subie08.jpg


 

Subie09.jpg

 

Lookin' from the inside:

 

Subie10.jpg

 

it also had some Rust on the Other Side:

 

Subie11.jpg


inside Pic:

 

Subie12.jpg

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Obtained a Used red Door from a 1990's Toyota Hi-Lux, its Metal Sheet was like New and seemed to be made in even Better Quality than the one on my Subie... I Cut some Metal sheets from that Red Door, then I Molded their Shape and Tested How they fit.

 

 

Here you can see the bigger one for the Passenger's side:

 

Subie15.jpg

 

 

Here you can see the one for the Driver's side:

 

Subie13.jpg

 

 

Then the Welding Party Started: thcool5.gif

 

Subie14.jpg

 

 

This is How it Looked like, after being just Welded:

 

Subie16.jpg

 

 

Subie17.jpg

 

 

After Deep Cleansing the Areas (inside & Outside)


I Started to Cover all the inside with a Premium Anti-Rust Product:

 

Subie18.jpg

 

 

Subie19.jpg

 

 

Subie20.jpg

 

 

With Special Care to cover the Electric Stuff around:

 

Subie21-PowerWindowsRelay.jpg

 

 

This is the Power Windows' main control unit, on which I swapped a Standard "Bosch" Relay, instead the crappy round one it had from factory; you can see the Relay Swap procedure, explained here:

 

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/87523-how-to-swap-the-old-roundie-relays-with-standard-bosch-relays/

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
add Link to the Relay Writeup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for Fine Sand Paper and Primer.

 

Subie22.jpg


 

Slowly started to Look Better:

 

Subie23.jpg


 

Here, the Primer Coat was Applied:

 

Subie24.jpg


 

Subie25.jpg


 

Then Sanded Down and another Primer Coat was applied:

 

Subie26.jpg


 

The Other Side:

 

Subie27.jpg

 

 

Preparing the Whole Car for a New Finish:
 

Subie28.jpg

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The day was Rainy ... you can see Mud Spills on the Primer. But it was Washed out clean and Dried , then I used sand paper on the Rest of the car, then Primer, then more sand paper on the primer, then more Primer... you know ...until it was Ready for the First coats of Yellow Paint.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Body Restoration was Finished, I Washed Clean the Carpets and the Seats,

 

also the Door Panels; then I put it back together.

 

Loyale27Turbo2.jpg

 

 

Disclaimer: Use all the information & Photos I share, at your own Risk!

 

If you find this information & photos, Useful, Let me know by hitting the "Like" Button :D

  
Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×