Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82TT Engine Management Swap

Quidam

It's stripped to the shortblock and quench (piston to head) is in the neighborhood of .062 for SPFI piston, .043 for the 7.7 turbo piston. Lowest I want with this combo is about .035 so basically let the chips fall where they may on that.

Hey Tex, I don't ever do utube on 56K dialup. I'll take your word for it. It might take two hours to watch a 3 minute vid, seriously.

Doug

All right, here's what I've got. .4325 lift at #1 exhaust valve. Dial stedy and repeatable. Gutted HLA body and shimmed tighter than I'd ever run it.

Refinished valve rockers, #1 piston looks something like the one below and I've rotated it for piston to valve clearance.

picture.php?albumid=293&pictureid=3359

Some reflections and FYI, as I just got this far with it after setting it up last night. What I've got is just two samples on two cam lobes, anecdotal.

A new gutted HLA body is set on #1 intake valve with refinished valve rocker and checker spring with no shims. A quick check with the dial indicated .407 lift and keep in mind Subaru states if you press a primed HLA and it plunges more than .020, replace it...or fix it.

In the neighborhood of .070 can be added to the cam lobe and still fit in the stock cam carrier, X rocker ratio.

In theory, .500 lift or thereabouts should be possible with a custom cam. Nothing set in "special chilled cast iron" though.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

I'm planning crank trigger and I have 4 balancers that would be suitable for use. So the wheel will go there. I keep thinking MSD 7 but that could be wrong.

picture.php?albumid=293&pictureid=3360

Roll pin is TDC #1 cylinder.

picture.php?albumid=293&pictureid=3361

Anyone who would just throw some type of sealer on one of these pumps don't know what they're doing.

The Genuine Subaru gasket being the hands down winner here. Tho not "required". At any rate, this type of motor I permatex #2 the gasket to the pump with an anti stick coat towards the block. Removal and replacement drama free.

picture.php?albumid=293&pictureid=3362

What I'd like to use is Fluidamper. "A" motor perhaps.

Is that what these pulleys are, XT? I have the alt that goes with them and the pulley. These were abused tho, kind of rough around the edges. I'd like to run them tho because of the ribbed belt drive.

I've got balancers...carb with no pins whatsoever. SPFI with hole for pin and it was in there when I got it. I don't want to run without one really, insurance.

I've got two turbo balancers on cars, going to pull the best one, and it's a beauty! :) Need to pull 4 turbo cam cases as a SPFI cam is in the motor right now. Piston stop needs ordered.

Installed an E 81 N/A piston in #4 cylinder today, sits .036 down in the cylinder. Excessive quench with that, unless the block were decked and the pistons flycut for the valves. Or a very thin gasket.

Balancers, turbo is heavy and needs to be.

Doug

Here's how I left things, hole in crank pulley at TDC. There's another hole 180 degrees around, and pulley set goes on a SPFI car. It has a "dowel"? pin installed, but not drilled for a roll pin.

EA82SubaruTT.jpg

I'll be using the short B/A and long PARAUT cast iron impeller pumps on these motors. The GMB is sheetmetal and less expensive. Not a single reason I want to use it on this.

EA82SubaruTTWaterPumps.jpg

Genuine Subaru water pump gasket and I've done some casting flash removal.

SubaruEA82TTWaterPumpGasket.jpg

The same pulley and color coded valvesprings. I overdid the paint thing, but I need to know what set they're from and there are a few groups of them around.

SubaruEA82TTValvespringsandPulley.jpg

NTW Beck/Arnley cast pump right.

Arnley.jpg

So yea, crank trigger which one and how to mounnt it all, but that can wait for now. I guess it's an EA 82TT Turbo-Traction Sedan. No such animal from Subaru.

Edited by Quidam

Well, wrap this phase up. I drilled a hole 180 degrees from the factory pin. Top pin sticks in the crank gear, lower sticks in the harmonic damper pulley.

SubaruEA82TTHarmonicDamper.jpg

Which are 90 degrees from the other factory pin and crank keys.

SubaruEA82TTPinnedCrankSprocket.jpg

Needs to be rock solid for the hp and crank trigger.

SubaruEA-82TT8DegreeTimingAdvanceACS.jpg

It's at TDC and the passenger side cam is 8 degrees advanced. I don't anticipate using that much, but I'd expect increased cranking compression there.

So boiled down, 5 easy pieces. Bolt, washer, two pins, and the harmonic damper pulley.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34031&d=1179135990

I really don't see the point in these heads, why spend all that time and money building custom DOHC heads for an outdated engine when you can just use an EJ block and have a variety of factory DOHC heads to chose from, I know it was for an aircraft where cost isn't of much concern but still why not start with the better EJ engine and work from there.

I really don't see the point in these heads, why spend all that time and money building custom DOHC heads for an outdated engine when you can just use an EJ block and have a variety of factory DOHC heads to chose from, I know it was for an aircraft where cost isn't of much concern but still why not start with the better EJ engine and work from there.

Because the ea82 bottom end is actually pretty decent considering it's closed deck, and MUCH lighter than an EJ. So for a very small plane, light is a must.

The guy was "developing" them in 2007, he may have given up since the post was never updated.

• 4 weeks later...
Well update?

I worked on the intake today and those golf balls fit the first couple inches. I plan to hog the other end tomorrow and I'll order a ball hone to finish them off. I can only make the intake ports about 43 mm diameter, that's it. Ports in the heads will be about the same, I guess. Need to finish those up too.

EA82TSubaru.jpg

I've got 2 1/2 EA 82 T's and five of their distributors, Both kind. The original engine management but those long plug wires on this motor give me the creeps. Realy. But I could possibly drive something off that gear and still have room for the drivers side turbo. Anyway.

EA-82TTPlumCrazy.jpg

I ordered a few different kinds of shims for the lash adjustment and they've been shipped. I'll have shims for the inside and outside of the old lash adjuster buckets.

Still need to pull 4 cam carriers with the turbo cams. I've got 140,000 cams to work with, probably the best ones I have.

Doug

What kind of paint is that? Looks super nice!

Thanks, It's red and purple VHT brand, (very high temperature) anodize paint over a silver base coat with clear. I sprayed it heavy so there's more pigment then you would usually use just to get the anodized look.

Experimental as I haven't painted anything in a long time really. Vinegar/water mix to etch before spraying. Takes 7 days to cure or you can bake it at 200* F for an hour.

I did a set of red cam sprockets at the same time.

The purple rocker cover isn't cleared in this pic but it is now.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

i give props on a custom setup like this but like gd and others have said..... ej20 would be more cost effective..... im wondering how long this will take before something blows up. And if it doesnt blow up rather quickly than i will be VERY impressed.

just seems like a lot of time and effort on a WAY outdated engine.

anyways though everything looks sweet!

wish i had some skill like that.

-jarrid

p.s. i 2nd what gd says about testing between mods..... seems to be the best thing to do but hey! *to each their own*

:) keep up the nice work! ill be watchin this thread now

Did you cut off the back of the purple cover?

and are you color coding them so you know which one is which? lol

"oh the red one I blew a rod, but the purple one.... now that's a screamer!"

Yes, I cut the rocker cover and cam case, but I need to cut another cam case because the first one was cracked in two places. Those purple rocker covers are either Plum Crazy or Deep Purple, depends on how you look at them:)

Yea, the red ones are on a SPFI motor now.

I've got another set prepped for a carb motor, not sure what color they will be.

Doug

i give props on a custom setup like this but like gd and others have said..... ej20 would be more cost effective..... im wondering how long this will take before something blows up. And if it doesnt blow up rather quickly than i will be VERY impressed.

just seems like a lot of time and effort on a WAY outdated engine.

anyways though everything looks sweet!

wish i had some skill like that.

-jarrid

p.s. i 2nd what gd says about testing between mods..... seems to be the best thing to do but hey! *to each their own*

:) keep up the nice work! ill be watchin this thread now

Thanks. However, I don't give a F*** what GD thinks, he's on the ignore list. He isn't a school trained automotive tech who graduated at the top of his class of 26. I am and he plays one on Ultimate Subaru Message Board.

Doug

Quite frankly sir - you have no idea what my training is or is not.

GD

You guys both seem to have some pretty good skills behind you, so why not just drop it? GD, if you don't like the idea of building an EA engine, why even bother look at the thread? Its not your money he's putting into it, so whats the deal? The consensus is that EJs make more power, are more reliable, and more economic, but he's not building an EJ, he's building an EA, end of story. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Personally Quidam, I think this is pretty cool! I don't really know the limits of the EA82 engine, but you seem to have some pretty solid work there, and I hope it goes well for you! Will be watching this thread!

GD, if you don't like the idea of building an EA engine, why even bother look at the thread? Its not your money he's putting into it, so whats the deal?

I haven't commented about his build lately - I lurk here waiting for the inevitable fail. He attacked me. So I responded. I don't care about his EA other than to laugh when it blows itself to bits. I have plenty of concerns much bigger than what some fool does with his money and time and I haven't commented on that. I've said a few things about what he should do and what he should reasonably shoot for from that engine - that's it.

GD

I haven't commented about his build lately - I lurk here waiting for the inevitable fail. He attacked me. So I responded. I don't care about his EA other than to laugh when it blows itself to bits. I have plenty of concerns much bigger than what some fool does with his money and time and I haven't commented on that. I've said a few things about what he should do and what he should reasonably shoot for from that engine - that's it.

GD

WOW, I'm going to withhold comment but let's drop the drama and focus on the build.