Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82TT Engine Management Swap

Quidam

I have plenty of concerns much bigger than what some fool does with his money and time and I haven't commented on that. I've said a few things about what he should do and what he should reasonably shoot for from that engine - that's it.

I agree GD - there's a guy on ausubi who built an awesome EA82 with a single turbo setup, dunno what engine management system he was using but it pulled 400hp or near enough on the dyno before it twisted the block and did some other nasty things to the internals as a result.

BUT: I am keen to see where this goes - Quidam, you know where you want to go with this and I respect that, I'm keen to see how this turns out, and I really hope that this thread of yours doesn't die in the arse if the EA82TT goes belly up - I'm keen to see the results.

Looking forward to the next update now that I've read up on this entire thread!

Cheers

Bennie

More to the point - what gearbox will you be using to put the power to the wheels??

As I assume you already know - it's great to beef up the engine for a better power output, but if the gearbox isn't up to the task there's really no point. This is unfortunately why the subaru gearbox is often referred to as a glassbox due to the WRX fraternity modifying the engine for better performance but at the same time being too short sighted to realise what the next part is in the driveline that will go bang - that's usually first or second after a couple of hard launches.

I guess you're going auto?

Cheers

Bennie

More to the point - what gearbox will you be using to put the power to the wheels??

As I assume you already know - it's great to beef up the engine for a better power output, but if the gearbox isn't up to the task there's really no point. This is unfortunately why the subaru gearbox is often referred to as a glassbox due to the WRX fraternity modifying the engine for better performance but at the same time being too short sighted to realise what the next part is in the driveline that will go bang - that's usually first or second after a couple of hard launches.

I guess you're going auto?

Cheers

Bennie

Yea I hear you on longevity. I've got front axles and 5 speed with diff lock from an "88 Turbo Traction Wagon. Rear LSD and axels to match from the same low mileage car.

Doug

probably the only trans he will be able to use with this that may hold up is the EA bellhousinged 4EAT lol.

Well, I do have the 3 speed auto Jatco trans from a 86 GL 10. For the quarter mile, I think three speeds might be plenty with tall tires. Higher stall converters and shift kits are available for them.

I believe that trans would take some punishment...might be an option.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

no. and the xt6 pressure plate probably wont hold that kind of power.

maybe for a short time I guess. ha ha

I read about your TT and clutch smokin thing.:)

I have a Beck/Arnley XT6 kit. Genuine Subaru XT 6 pressure plate has about 280 lbs. more clamping force than the standard clutch IIRC. The XT6 has a Flywheel Spec: -0.815 which is different from a GL. I'll have to check again, but the different specs probably yield different clamping pressure specs.

I believe any clutch could be sent to a clutch place and that pressure upped with a change of springs. End up with higher load on the clutch cable tho I don't see that as a problem. Sometimes, you just need to keep feeding them fresh clutch discs before damage is done to the pressure plate and flywheel via overheating.

Here's the current Beck/Arnley XT 6 offering, comes with the clips.

getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.rockauto.com%2FBeckArnley%2FBA0619130-1.jpg&imagekey=495721-0&width=450

Here's anothe Rock/Auto listing for a RHINOPAC set. Looks like a generic pic tho.

getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Finfo.rockauto.com%2FRhinoPac%2F15-009.jpg&imagekey=200449-0&width=450

Current offering from Delco, most expensive of the three.

getimage.php?imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.wrenchead.com%2Fsmartpages%2Fpartinfo_resize%2FDUS%2F381775.jpg&imagekey=351636-0&width=450

Doug

Edited by Quidam

the 3 speeds are junk. do not use one they go out frequently with the stock engine. I would use a 6 puck carbon ceramic clutch disc. mine seems to grab very well.

You don't want a clutch that grabs TOO well, you want the clutch to break before the gears.

this is true. and what I thought in the past but a ************ty clutch disc will bake in quick order. lol

I have found that on very hard launches with my car the rear end was the weak link. I broke 3 of them. ha ha

Yea, but you wheeling guys have those big rump roast tires and wheels. Big difference from what this car will be.

My target weight is 2500 lbs soaking wet, with me in it. We'll see but I can get it close to that or lower for the drag strip.

Doug

Well Doug, I am truly impressed with your efforts, very nice work. I'm still buildin' on my 88 GL 10 T. Gen 3 heads, hogged, match ported & polished. Just built a new merged header, WRX turbo, made a 3"bell mouth dn. pipe, w/2.5" back to a Flowmaster. Saab 9000 TMIC, 380cc injectors, many more mods, but dosen't hold a candle to your project. My little car has become a rocket ship, but don't know how long it will last the way I drive it. Not intended to further GDs rant, but I just acquired a low miles Legacy 2.2 Turbo that I plan to drive till the EA scatters. Keep up the good work, I plan to follow the thread closely. S.

Well Doug, I am truly impressed with your efforts, very nice work. I'm still buildin' on my 88 GL 10 T. Gen 3 heads, hogged, match ported & polished. Just built a new merged header, WRX turbo, made a 3"bell mouth dn. pipe, w/2.5" back to a Flowmaster. Saab 9000 TMIC, 380cc injectors, many more mods, but dosen't hold a candle to your project. My little car has become a rocket ship, but don't know how long it will last the way I drive it. Not intended to further GDs rant, but I just acquired a low miles Legacy 2.2 Turbo that I plan to drive till the EA scatters. Keep up the good work, I plan to follow the thread closely. S.

Got any pics of that car and motor you'd want to post? I was looking at all the exhaust fittings and such I've aquired today. I plan 3 inch I.D. to the rear of the car, I've got the stainless exhaust tip from another project.

The header I've been prepping pieces for and ordered the 2000* F primer for yesterday. I'll be painting that stuff flat black I believe. I looked around for a TWE header and I could still use one if it could be found.

I've upgraded/replaced fasteners where needed and I decided today i'm going to modify the cam cases further.

Hi Doug. I've taken pics. of the build, but not much a computer file. I need to get my wifey to help me post em'. I ran my new header & exh. for a while with Hi temp. paint, & eventually got around to the wrap. What an amazing difference, spools up much faster, had to turn the man. boost controller down a couple of notches. Much lower eng. comp. temps, you can almost hang onto the pipes. If you haven't got injectors yet, give a call to Charlie @ osidetiger.com, he'll fix you up with what ever you need. He sent me the 380s I'm runnin' to my door for rite at $200.00. Included, Reman. injectors w/ flow charts, new spacer blocks, hose sections, clamps, stainless hdwr., elect. connectors w/ pig tails,even solder & shrink tube. Also, a nice guy to work with. I'm findin' your work on the valve train interesting, curious to see how your shim syst. works out. Hang in, S.

• 2 weeks later...

Secondary turbo bolted to the engine. I'm going to do a 2" lift on the whole car, turbos will be raised and rotated.

For the dragstrip, I'm going to run the 3 speed automatic box, shift kit, higher stall converter...and I'll spool the turbos with Nitrous.

I bought an aftermarket ignition system for it, so this thread is over as I don't plan to retrofit the newer Genuine Subaru engine management.

Oh, Ralph said I should turn it 8500 rpm, and I think that's right. But not without new connecting rods and that's A motor.

Doug

I bought an aftermarket ignition system for it, so this thread is over as I don't plan to retrofit the newer Genuine Subaru engine management.

Why do you say this thread is over? Sounds like this is exactly where you should be posting. It's still a Subaru, and you are still putting in a subaru engine, so almost all of it is retrofitting different subaru gear into a different subaru.

I am curious on where this goes, so please don't stop posting as you are still retrofitting your subaru!

Hey Doug, glad to hear your still at it. You may have already taken care of it , but thot' I should mention, Heli-coilin' the heads & cam carrier. Over the years I've had a problems with threads pulling pullin' where the cam carrier bolts to the head, (mostly around the exh. port), & even where the cam cover bolts to the carrier. Last time I had it down, I just did em' all. Cheap insurance. More pics? (easy for me to say) Keep up the good work. S.

Why do you say this thread is over? Sounds like this is exactly where you should be posting. It's still a Subaru, and you are still putting in a subaru engine, so almost all of it is retrofitting different subaru gear into a different subaru.

I am curious on where this goes, so please don't stop posting as you are still retrofitting your subaru!

Everything on earth goes somewhere and I'll have to figure out where this goes. As you can see, USMB is a hostile inviroment and not a good place to talk EA 82, I don't need the aggrevation.

Doug

Hey Doug, glad to hear your still at it. You may have already taken care of it , but thot' I should mention, Heli-coilin' the heads & cam carrier. Over the years I've had a problems with threads pulling pullin' where the cam carrier bolts to the head, (mostly around the exh. port), & even where the cam cover bolts to the carrier. Last time I had it down, I just did em' all. Cheap insurance. More pics? (easy for me to say) Keep up the good work. S.

Yea, I'm still plugging away at it and I stripped it all back down today to solvent clean the parts for another trial assembly.

Ah, the cam carriers get an upgrade for sure. In recent memory, two cams have been reported on USMB as broken/snapped and there is a clue to be had there. I've removed just two bolts from them installed on the heads and that alone was enough to bind the cam up. They are under spring pressure afterall and are too light weight. I'm going to reinforce them two ways. I'm also taking steps to reinforce the crankcase. All that will consist of aircraft aluminum, dowel pins, block filler, and high temp epoxy.

I've got new hardened, heavy duty flange bolts for the final assembly on the cam cases with 13 mm heads. They use up all available thread and are definately superior to the Genuine Subaru bolts. But I'll keep the inserts in mind of course, whatever it takes. However, I think I can straighten out the cam case situation with reinforcement, we'll see.

Doug

Everything on earth goes somewhere and I'll have to figure out where this goes. As you can see, USMB is a hostile inviroment and not a good place to talk EA 82, I don't need the aggrevation.

Doug

USMB a hostile place, and not a good place to talk ea82? Really? I don't see that at all. Hostile is not the word I would use to describe USMB, very far from it, and I have gotten into with people on the board and still don't see it that way. The world is a very hostile place, USMB is actually an escape from the real world if you ask me! Sure some have their opinions on the way things should or shouldn't be, but we all know what are opinions are like!

I don't really know of anywhere else to talk about an ea82, let alone highly modified ones, except for USMB... Not trying to start an argument or be aggravating or anything, I am just curious why you have this opinion. For the most part, this board consists of very nice and highly intelligent people.

Either way, if you decide to post your updates somewhere else, please post a link or something here so that we can follow your updates. I am really curious on what this beast will do! Keep up the good work man! :)