Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mystery stalling when braking ??

Hi ALL!

I have a '01 GT Wgn, Auto, 160 K miles, wants to stall upon hard breaking !

Well I replaced the brake booster as it says in this string of posts. I also added Trans X, that did help the not moving when cold into forward gear problem, it chopped the time in about half till it moves. It still has this problem. I cleaned the throttle body in hopes of cleaning the IAC, that did nothing . I did clean the IAC itself, that helped a little.

I still have the stalling , or wanting ( I can prevent this by taking my foot off the brake for a second ) to stall upon heavy braking! Can it be the torque converter locking up ? Is that also responsible for the not moving forward instantly ?

ANY other ideas out there ??

Is it worth going to Jiffy Lube and have them change the tranny fluid, then add synthetic TF ? OR , as I hear in these posts that just creates another mess !??

HELP !!!

SubeeTed

No I haven't replaced PCV valve, wasn't even a thought.

It runs just fine, starts full, all sorts of power.

Just put in a fresh set of plugs, did oil, filter, valve covers.

Replace the PCV valve.

Cleaning the IAC doesnt always work.

Did you put in wires, what kind.

Hi ALL!

I have a '01 GT Wgn, Auto, 160 K miles, wants to stall upon hard breaking !

Can it be the torque converter locking up ?

I am no expert... and, was informed I was wrong- (see post#13) But, it's really seems like a TC lock up to me... GM is all I know... and 01 was a "GM year"...right?

Using 20 year old technology as a measuring stick is like saying all four cylinders cna only make 80Hp.

So so wrong. When lockups first came out GM lockups were new and had issues. It is never heard of these days (someone will say Mememe but ya know, there is always one).

It is not the torque converter. It is a A/F issue or vacume leak.

Possibly a dying O2 sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HDbaven.

I haven't fixed the hard breaking problem !

I was going to serisouly consider doing the Trany Fluid evacuaction and replacing with Synth, I was told not to, do the fact I have 159 K miles on the car. The evac machine will roil up all the junk in the tranny.

I did, awhile ago replace my Brake Booster, that did sound like it had a tiny vac leak, it didn't take care of the hard brake probelm.

I did clean out the throttle body in hopes that it would clean the Idle Air Cintroler, that did nothing.

I cleaned the IAC, that did nothing !

ALL of the above were done a while ago.

Now my CEL light is on, I haven't checked the code yet.... I hope it's not the dreaded Cat not working properly, I have a buddy with the same car, he has never been able to fix this (3 years now !), he drives around with a big red R, for a sticker !!!

Do you also have the hasitating to get into first gear problem ???

I still have this problem, I did add Trans X, to my tranny, and only Trans X, after taking a little ATF out. I did help, it cut the delay in half.

My personal thinking is that the Torq Converter is sticking upon hard breaking, you can experiment yourself....go to the place were you know it wants to stall, just BEFORE the usual RPM when it wants to stall, carefully push it into "N".

Good Luck !!

SubeeTed

Had one that evrytime you came off hyway and hit brakes it stalled. It was sticking in lockup tourque whould not relese and as soon as you started car was ok. The lady had spent alot of money trying to fix it she had changed the ecu tps tune up o2 ect. It was a loose ground on the right side of intake where the main trans and engine ground go to intake. was left loose when dealer did headgaskets. Think if soiliniod looses ground it stays on till car is shut off.

I would run two new grounds, one from the tranny to the engine (or anywhere else) and the other from the engine to the neg battery pole.

You can do just a drain and fill 4x and that would be a good flush. Don't use synthetic, i agree.

The CEL would be interesting. At your milegae the dreaded O2 sensor would be, well, just a bad O2 sensor, which may be the issue (but a long shot).

If it is a bad lockup, driving in D3 it should go away. If it doesnt it is not the TC. D3 inactivates lockup.

Hi Ivans AND Nipper.

Can the grounds be seen from up top of engine bay ?

Or only from the car being on a lift ??

So Nipper, your saying that if I drive in D3 ,this doesn't activate the Torq Converter ? I'll try this tonight at the usual spot that I know it wants to stall.see what happens !

THANKS, SubeeTed

I just took a peak at the engine compartment. You can see a big fat ground with a yellow streak in the black wire. It's on the right side, just below the intake goes to the body under the washer tank. Any how, it looks health, a tiny bit of corrosion up top around the crip connector,and looks clean at the body. I suspect that it isn't the ground.

I also gave it a good shake, nothing is loose !

Bummer !

Hi !

Just read code, found it to be the Evac leak code thing. Reset, went away, put 20 miles on car. Maybe had the cap on screwey !

Gonna try and change both tranny filters. Going to drop the pan.

I intend on replace lost ATF with Synth.

My mechanic buddy said something about there being "switches" that might be there when you drop the pan that can be looked at that control the Torq Con. .

SubeeTed