Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Awesome Older Generation Picture Thread

Is that a GL i spy with a hood scoop? Who's car is that down from your car Kingbobdole? 

any plans for your car? Looks pretty sweet, would be even sweeter with a paintjob and some ea81 spoked wheels :)

Four of my cars are in that pic. ;-).

I'm slowly restoring her... Very slowly. I'm into the flat black for now, but I also just picked these up..

NOS..

null_zps23d211cd.jpg

null_zps7b27eb4d.jpg

Great to be back on/off the road again!

After sorting out a suspension knock (right rear) due to my own stupidity fitting an insufficient washer to the top of the strut and putting a strobe on the timing (Thanks Tris!) to get the car running more crisply - it's still a bit tight after the rebuild so only driven it gently so far - I thought I'd see how it felt off the tarmac.

At only 420 M elevation it was bitter up near Haytor - wind chill had my hands numb in about 5 minutes and the ground was crunchy underfoot.

MOToddsandends035_zpsb092f342.jpg

I've driven up and down this lane on several occasions before in this car and it's normally just like you see here - just a bit bumpy over the slate. But a little way up the lane part of it had turned into a waterfall and there were some new drops greater than my ground clearance - thank goodness I didn't drive up it as getting down backwards would have been thwarted by rear overhang.  But inching it over the drops it slithered down OK and didn't dent anything (as far as I can tell).  Foolish to go on these short jaunts on my own.

MOToddsandends038_zps18dcbc65.jpg

Nick, I love those taillights! I would love to own those taillights, with only one side having a reverse light. Ya never see them here in the states, and I guess they're still pretty rare in other countries. It looks to me like you have the taillight on top, brake light below it, turn signal below that, and then the reverse light? Is the other side a red reverse light, a rear fog light, or something else? Anyways, if you come across a pair of those taillights (along with the wiring and bulbs, if possible) from a junkyard or something, then contact me. I'd love to buy them!  :D

I think all countries of europe got those tail lights, but i noticed the reverse light is on opposite sides depending if your'e driving LHD or RHD.

The opposite red light is a rear fog light. The upper light is running/stop lamp, and between the turn signal and the running light, is a reflex lamp.

Here's a picture from a sales ad from Norway

post-32803-0-95340900-1364639505_thumb.jpg

Hi jj421,

It never occurred to me that the tail lights might be cool! I'm not sure what the regulations are but that layout is pretty standard here in the UK though there are many variations.  Though I might have some spare units, I'm going to keep them because all but a very small number of these cars have been scrapped so I can't afford to let them go. How few? See here: http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/subaru_1.8_4wd_dl

Ahh, okay, I see. Thanks for the info on the lighting setup. I had a feeling it was a rear fog light. So the reverse light is on the side opposite of the driver? I guess it wouldn't matter over here, since I don't think I've ever seen asymmetrical taillights in person.

But yeah, I think they're very cool! I guess they may not be rare to find on cars over there, but it's rare to get a pair from the junkyard? That's an insanely low amount being registered.... Well, if you ever want to sell a pair, I'll take them. Or if anyone else in Europe (or elsewhere where they are common) has a spare pair, I want 'em.  :brow:

Not sure about other states, but here in Washington, they seem to be legal. RCW 46.37.210 (3) states "Any motor vehicle may be equipped with one or more back-up lamps...," so I should have no legal issues with those taillights.  :banana:

Edited by jj421

I have couple sets of those tail lights. Mine is LHD and has the back-up lamp on the right side as seen in here:

SAM_0356.jpg

I can sell one set of them since I'm not going to keep my wagon models. BUT the shipping will be pretty high $ pretty much enywhere in the world.

Nick, I love those taillights! I would love to own those taillights, with only one side having a reverse light. Ya never see them here in the states, and I guess they're still pretty rare in other countries. It looks to me like you have the taillight on top, brake light below it, turn signal below that, and then the reverse light? Is the other side a red reverse light, a rear fog light, or something else? Anyways, if you come across a pair of those taillights (along with the wiring and bulbs, if possible) from a junkyard or something, then contact me. I'd love to buy them!  :D

Bit late to this thread, but here in NZ, we got the 'normal' double-side reverse on the Leone, through to 1989, and then the single-side reverse on the Omega, from '89 through '93. This would correspond to the 'GL' and the 'Loyale' eras in the States, one would presume.