Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Awesome Older Generation Picture Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Went into the mountains today. I am getting sick, probably just a cold, and wanted to get some fresh air.  :brow: Ever since my D/R swap earlier this year, I've never used the low range. Never. However, this trail definitely required it, and wow. There were rocky parts, steep hills, and rocky steep hills. With the low range, I climbed up everything. No wheel spin whatsoever in 4WD. Never realized how well my wagon does offroad until now. The only problem I face is ground clearance, but it wasn't that big of a deal. A couple rocks hit my skid plate, but nothing too bad.

All in all, pretty good for a stock suspension setup. Pictures don't really show the hard parts of the trail, because I was more focused on driving than taking pictures, haha. Anyways, here's some pictures:

A dip in the trail. Just enough clearance on the front bumper. Rear towing hitch scraped a bit, but not much.

DSC01861_zps210d2ecb.jpg

DSC01863_zps20f11f85.jpg

Going down the trail. This is the easy part.  ;)

DSC01864_zps724c18a0.jpg

Some viewpoints along the way.  :)

DSC01866_zpsd9fa9905.jpg

DSC01870_zpsd9c38743.jpg

DSC01871_zpsffa036bc.jpg

DSC01873_zps70bb37ac.jpg

Getting near the end of the trail (well, as far as I could go). Lots of loose, jagged rocks gave it a rough ride. Kept it in 4WD Lo to be nice to my clutch.

DSC01876_zps1afe80f7.jpg

Got to the end. I could've gone further, but the trail had a weird ditch in it, and I didn't think my front bumper could clear it. Definitely very peaceful where I ended.

DSC01881_zps2311d52b.jpg

DSC01882_zpse0e2c96a.jpg

DSC01883_zps4c177b44.jpg

DSC01885_zps62319d53.jpg

DSC01886_zps20b7a7e3.jpg

Some inclinometer readings on the trail. These were pretty much the worst of the worst. Some hills were steep though. Combined with the loose rocks, having the D/R is a requirement. My old push button tranny probably wouldn't have made it so far.

DSC01877_zpsccb62f3f.jpg

DSC01888_zps45c34ac0.jpg

Edited by jj421
  • Like 3