Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Awesome Older Generation Picture Thread

Since the Subaru X100 was posted... I'll post another Old Subaru Prototype!

th_bananadance.gif?t=1286897212

Back in the 1980's Decade, Subaru had the AWD Performance, the Luxury Electronics (Electric Powered everything), even a Six Cylinder Boxer engine (the ER27), etc... but Not a Full Sedan Body to make a Luxury Grand Tourer...

So the British Company named: International Automotive Design (IAD) ... (that Company also Worked with Subaru in the SRD Concept -Shown Below- I posted Lots of Pics & info of the SRD in Previous Posts of

THIS Thread)

SRD.jpg?t=1286912396

...Decided to Stretch a Subaru XT6 Body, to Make it a 4 Door Grand Tourer Sedan.

They also added More (Yes...

:eek: ... Even More!) Electronics; The Result was Named:

Subaru Royale

1988SubaruRoyale1.gif

The Subaru Royale, an imposing Luxury Express (Grand Tourer) Sedan with Mature Lines.

The interior was Perhaps its most Striking Feature, Decked out with leather and High-Tech Equipment, including one of the World's Most Sophisticated Hi-Fi Systems Ever Seen on a Car.

1988SubaruRoyale3.gif?t=1286914018

Intended for Businessmen and Entrepreneurs, the Subaru Royale was a Study in Passenger Comfort and Space. The interior, developed Between IAD and Phillips, was Finished off in White Leather.

Centrally-Mounted Information Centre and Navigational System with Revolving Rotary Key Pads, Replaced Conventional Controls for the in-car Entertainment System, Duplicated Front and Rear.

Based on a Stretched Subaru XT6 Body, the Subaru Royale also incorporated an LED Screen Display, Integrated into the Tail Lights which Displayed Information About Road Safety...

1988SubaruRoyale2.gif?t=1286914420

I Didn't Posted anythin' about the Subaru Royale Before, 'cos I Wasn't Sure it was Really a Subaru... I Only Had this Old Magazine Scan:

1988SubaruRoyale4.gif?t=1286914691

and old Car Magazines only Refered it as the Royale.

Could it's name be the Seed of the Subaru Idea

to Rename its 1980's Luxury Sedan as "Loyale" :confused: ???

Kind Regards.

This is an EA81 wagon, and you are worried about handing? :-p But yes, I'm sure its extremely stiff and bounces a lot which is not great in snowy conditions.

Those Iceland guys have some amazing Subarus out there way.

True :drunk:

Both are riding on bumpstops and have cut springs though, doesn't that affect handling to a degree?

Yeah, same thing goes for WI.

Could always tie some chains on those springs and compress them, like they used to do on lowriders :clap:

I do know the cops around here are giving faulty equip tickets to the ones that are lowered and rub on bumps.

Not safe if the springs are cut either.not for street driving. off road use only. meaning track car.

tundrabrat said:
This is a Domingo... They had a sliding metal roof... Very popular when I lived in Okinawa.

I know :D

Lol I was talking about the brat that I posted before, some people wanted some info on it. And I thought I would make my post worth while and add a picture. :popcorn:

Moar awscum subes :burnout:

2USTcNR.jpg

0rdsCMW.jpg

e28gY0Q.jpg

Edited by 6 Star
Fixed Broken Image Link

bonvo said:
that sticker in the tailgate is epic

You sir get a cyber high-five :clap:

Come to think of it, Warthogs do kinda resemble Brats, from the side at least. :-p

-EDIT- Apologies, PressingOnward... never saw your question about the bed tarp... not that it matters all these years later to you, but that Brumby probably has an aftermarket bed tarp. They may have been made in OZ... there were factory bed tarps also available...

Warthog vs Brat

DxWoHSE.jpg

G7HRfSg.jpg

Edited by 6 Star
Fixed Broken Image Links