Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just put the first 100 miles on my new 86 GL

It has a carb and a 5 speed. I changed all fluids and filters plus the battery and took it 50 miles down the freeway and back. The engine purrs like a kitten, not even the standard sub lifter sound but I have a few more questions:

1. When I replaced the coolant I jacked up the front, warmed it up and burped it but about a teaspoon leaked from underneath then stopped. Can a head gasket leak coolant without mixing it with the oil? My coolant and oil are still clean but it bothered me a bit. It did get rid of the river runs through it sound it had at start up.

2. Above 65 it gets squirrely in front wheel drive mode but the tires are not the same brand, however they are the same size and inflated to 33 psi. (Taking them down from 40 helped and it was windy but I have a feeling it would have been a handful without the wind. Is that common with this model? Around town it is stable. I was wondering if a new set of tires and/or shocks/struts would help?

3. I am fairly mechanical but this whole - don't shift into 4 wheel drive on pavement thing has me stumped almost as much as the unwinding it thing does. Can somebody explain it mechanically in plain terms. I heard a weird sound when making a tight circle, I think right. It was a rattling like a bunch of ball bearing clattering or something. I even turned a cookie in the grass in my field to make sure it was back in front wheel mode before leaving.

4. Did any of the 86 GL's come with A/C or is there just not enough power for it?

It seems weird that they would make a car you can shift into 4 wheel drive on the fly and then have to find gravel to properly get it back into front wheel drive. Just me. Thanks for all of your help!

Edited by ubtripn

It seems weird that they would make a car you can shift into 4 wheel drive on the fly and then have to find gravel to properly get it back into front wheel drive. Just me. Thanks for all of your help!

They designed the 4wd for slippery conditions or for when a sudden need of traction is required (such as going up a steep hill). Prolonged 4wd use on non slippery surfaces is bad. If you use it to just get up a hill and then deactivate it (both engaging and de-engaging going straight) its fine. If you use it in snowy or muddy or gravel conditions, its fine. As long as you don't use the 4wd in times that you don't really need it, it will remain in good condition.

You can't disengage the 4WD on the fly because you have different brands of tires.... which, contrary to what you might think, means they ARE different sizes even if they are "the same size" by the numbers on the sidewall.... if you get my meaning. Those numbers are loosely followed by the tire manufacturers and if you have different brands - regardless if they are the same size or not - you will not be able to get out of 4WD easily because the drivetrain will bind up to some extent. When setup properly, your Subaru should be able to enter and exit 4WD effortlessly as long as it's going straigth. If you start doing figure 8's it will once again bind up and will not allow you to exit 4WD till you straighten out again.

This is how 4WD works - on every vehicle that uses it - trucks, cars, etc. If you have a vehicle that has power to all 4 and doesn't bind under any circumstance - it has some form of AWD.

And you can use 4WD as much as you like. Doesn't have to be limited to slippery conditions. With stock tires you will not harm anything with the use of 4WD occasionally on dry surfaces.

GD

That helps a ton guys, thanks. I got so use to my 99, it was a totally different car. I appreciate the 4 wheel drive info.

I never thought about that with tires but I guess they are like shoe manufacturers. A 10 for Nike is not the same as a 10 for Sketcher. First step, matching tires.

Edited by ubtripn

1. Head gaskets can leak coolant straight onto the ground. This is fairly common with newer EJ motors, but I don't know about the EA82 like you have. Does your car have a coolant reservoir? If not it will leak a little coolant out the radiator overflow until it gets to the optimal level. You might also check your hose connections, they tend to get crusty and start leaking in cars this old.

3. The noise you heard is probably one of your front axle CV joints. They'll make a loud rattling noise when you turn corners once they start to wear out. Check and see if the CV boots are ripped open, that's a sure sign that you need new axles. They can wear out without the boots ripping open, but it's not as common.