Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 Cam

As most of you know my cam broke in my ea81. I was wondering if there are different size cams for the ea81? and where could I get a new cam for it?

also, do they make bigger cams for it so it would lope, like the v8 guys do? I'm not trying to be a v8 guy or anything just think it would be cool to have a bigger cam.

thank you for your help

SJ

They don't have any EA81 core's for sale. If you want a Delta cam ground for the EA81 you have to send your's in (no they won't take a broken one). I know from experience. Don't bother calling to ask - they won't have any. They *might* grind a few EA81 cams a year for people - not enough to keep any in stock. They don't even have any EJ22 cams in stock I don't believe.

Now - I really don't think you understand what you are asking for here..... well you do but it's not what you need. ;). Trust me when I tell you that if your engine has a broken camshaft - you aren't going to be just replacing it and motoring happily down the road. Doesn't work that way. For one thing you have to split the block to get at it - for another...... well how's about you just go ahead and split the block and find out what's inside? I'll tell you right now that it's going to be UGLY in there. It's quite possible that the engine is a total loss (perhaps salvage the heads) - there will be so much metal and grit and destruction inside that if you were to buy a cam for it you would then have to go find another engine to put it in - one that likely has a good cam already.

*Something* caused that cam to break - probably loss of lubrication. Cam breakage doesn't just happen on these engines. I'm guessing that whatever led to the cam failure will have caused a massive amount of damage on the way to getting there.

Look for a good replacement used engine. And stop crying about the price. Engines run about $500 to $800 in good condition - doesn't matter the year or mileage. That's the going rate for the average salvage engine.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Hey bheinen - what casting mark does that one have and what did it come from? Solid and hydro use different cams - and he will need the correct one for his engine. Plus it might help Crazyeights identify his turbo cam.....

GD

looking but not finding much......

maybe a "1"

this came in the back of my ratty 84 BRAT ej mess.

If you have broken a cam, then yeah you need help in from of a entire engine. Now a pic is out there

I only asked if I could get a bigger cam and if they made brand new ones?

Yes - Delta camshaft can regrind a cam in one of several different profiles depending on your intended usage. But you need a good used cam to send them.

And:

No - you most likely cannot get a new cam at this point. In any case you wouldn't like the price - likely it would cost more than a used engine.

I really don't think you understand what's involved in changing the camshaft - it will require COMPLETE dissasembly of the engine. Down to pistons, rods, and wrist pins. ALL the way down. Every nut and bolt.

GD

Yes - Delta camshaft can regrind a cam in one of several different profiles depending on your intended usage. But you need a good used cam to send them.

And:

No - you most likely cannot get a new cam at this point. In any case you wouldn't like the price - likely it would cost more than a used engine.

I really don't think you understand what's involved in changing the camshaft - it will require COMPLETE dissasembly of the engine. Down to pistons, rods, and wrist pins. ALL the way down. Every nut and bolt.

GD

I know what I have to do, I'm not a dumba##. I understand, I get it. we can stop taking about what all I have to do until we get to the point of the build. I am going to rebuild my engine if it is salvageable. I wanted to know if they made bigger cams because i think it would be cool to have a cammed ea81 BRAT. I doubt it gain any HP but at least it will sound good. Hell if I end up getting a ea81 that runs I'll probably rebuild it and put a bigger cam in it too, i have new water pump,oil pump, intake,gaskets,radiator piping, radiator, belt, and other parts that i was going to put on the brat before all that happened, that are ready to go on a new engine for a rebuild.

SJ

Lots of folks have done cams in EA81's. It's nothing new. Mostly they go for the torque profile which helps the engine breathe at low RPM and improves torque across the RPM range.

It is very unlikely that your engine is salvageable after a cam breakage event - you would be best served by just picking up a used engine and dropping it it.

GD

Lots of folks have done cams in EA81's. It's nothing new. Mostly they go for the torque profile which helps the engine breathe at low RPM and improves torque across the RPM range.

It is very unlikely that your engine is salvageable after a cam breakage event - you would be best served by just picking up a used engine and dropping it it.

GD

Does it change the lope at all? anybody have a sound clip?

Well if it isnt than it isnt and if it is it is only way to find out is open it, which i hope to do by the first of the year. I'm sure something are salvageable. anyways, I'd like to make the new engine run 10X better and be 10X more reliable than it was before because it never ran well to begin with, I blame it on the guys at the shop not doing it right(this is the second engine the car has seen and whoever installed it the second time didnt seem to know enough). I'll find an engine in time. what other mods can you do to an ea81? just so I can figure out what I want to do, I've heard of swapping a ea82 intake?

thanks

SJ

SJ

i also have a good running ea81 complete with carb sitting on my shelf. Was told it ran good, that person is on this board and nasioc board as well. So, if you want it, let me know, it still has the carb, coil, dizzy, and belts on this.

lets say 450 obo.

i have the brat it came out of, shows 156k on the odo. If you want to talk to the person who said it ran, i am sure that can be arranged.

i also have a good running ea81 complete with carb sitting on my shelf. Was told it ran good, that person is on this board and nasioc board as well. So, if you want it, let me know, it still has the carb, coil, dizzy, and belts on this.

lets say 450 obo.

i have the brat it came out of, shows 156k on the odo. If you want to talk to the person who said it ran, i am sure that can be arranged.

Is that shipped?

SJ

The torque cams don't really make it sound any different except at idle - it's not a V8 type of lumpy idle like you think though - it sounds more like..... it's just not tuned very well at idle. Sound a bit like it's got a vacuum leak actually. Remember this is a 1.8L engine. You are comparing it to 5.7L and larger V8's that have twice as many cylinders. Subaru's have 4 and a lumpy idle on a Subaru just sounds like it runs crappy. Not enough cylinders to get the lumpiness that you desire.

SPFI pistons will increase the compression ratio to 9.5:1. Decking the block and heads can further increase the compression into the 10:1 or 10.5:1 range.

EA82 intake can be used for somewhat better flow.

Port and polish the heads.

Exhaust should be upgraded after the header to 2".

Those three mods alone - along with a good tuned Weber can get you close to 100 HP which is a decent increase over the stock 73 HP.

Of course - all of this will cost more than doing an EJ22 swap - which is 135 HP without changing anything on the engine. And a frankenmotor (EJ25 with EJ22 heads) is about 180 HP. You'll never come close to the performance-per-dollar that you will find in the EJ's with a modified EA.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

The torque cams don't really make it sound any different except at idle - it's not a V8 type of lumpy idle like you think though - it sounds more like..... it's just not tuned very well at idle. Sound a bit like it's got a vacuum leak actually. Remember this is a 1.8L engine. You are comparing it to 5.7L and larger V8's that have twice as many cylinders. Subaru's have 4 and a lumpy idle on a Subaru just sounds like it runs crappy. Not enough cylinders to get the lumpiness that you desire.

SPFI pistons will increase the compression ratio to 9.5:1. Decking the block and heads can further increase the compression into the 10:1 or 10.5:1 range.

EA82 intake can be used for somewhat better flow.

Port and polish the heads.

Exhaust should be upgraded after the header to 2".

Those three mods alone - along with a good tuned Weber can get you close to 100 HP which is a decent increase over the stock 73 HP.

Of course - all of this will cost more than doing an EJ22 swap - which is 135 HP without changing anything on the engine. And a frankenmotor (EJ25 with EJ22 heads) is about 180 HP. You'll never come close to the performance-per-dollar that you will find in the EJ's with a modified EA.

GD

Thank you for the info, i guess i'll go with just getting it running and then decide on getting more HP, I really don't need to make it fast, thats what my WRX if for. I really want to make a show car kinda thing out of the BRAT, just a clean nice running car.

SJ