Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 in a NSU Spider

wellis66

I purchased a 1967 NUS spider that someone put a EA71 Subaru motor in. I was told that the EA71 was a racing engine, but I have no way to confirm this. It has two solex carbs, one I think has a stuck float. Does anyone know how i can tell what type of motor this really is.IMG00062-20111121-1530.jpg

IMG00061-20111121-1529.jpg

IMG00059-20111121-1528.jpg

IMG00058-20111121-1528.jpg

It's a dual-carb 1.6.

Other than that - we can't tell you anything really. The numbers are meaningless to us.

It's likely that it came from a performance model if it came with that intake manifold but the manifold will fit any EA71 so really there's no way to tell without knowing it's history and exactly what it came from. I will tell you that there are a LOT more carbs and manifolds out there than there are engines these days. Engines wear out or blow up - carbs and manifolds are what people save off the dead one's. There are 100 such manifold setups for every 1 actual dual-carb high-compression long block - seems that way anyhow.

GD