Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My brother has the worst Subaru luck...

To start, my brother has never really liked any Subaru other than my old Brat that Earl now has, but he has driven a couple others. Both of his mishaps occured just days after I had done some kind of signifigant work to the rigs.

The first Subaru he owned was a '79 Brat I sold him. It ran great for the first few days, then on his way back to the Tri-Cities the motor crapped out on him, so he gave it back to me.

Just Yesterday, he did this to my Mom's formerly gorgeous '86 4wd wagon:

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

It used to look like this:

100_0050.jpg

100_0051.jpg

Then just on Thursday I installed a 2" lift on it:

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

This just sucks because it was such a beautiful car! Hopefully I can come up with a parts car that was in equally good shape on the outside at least, so I can bring it back to its former glory. Just figured I'd share some pics with ya'll:burnout:

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive

After reading this, I had to share my most recent round of bad luck as well...

I had brand new winter tires installed last week. I went for an early morning drive on Saturday and all of a sudden THUMP THUMP THUMP...I pulled over to find that I had a 2 foot "L" shaped piece of rebar stabbed directly into the tire (seriously 2 feet long!!!). So I pull out the fuill size spare and my trolley jack and swap the tire. On my way home with the spare on, the lights started to dim. As I pull her into the garage, she dies. The alternator decided to pack it in (10.5 volts is all it could put out). So I went and got a rebuilt alternator and instaled it. The dam thing screaching on my way to work this morning. Popped the hood and I see the pulley is wrecked - like a bearing went.

I suppose it's ironic that the tire shop fixed my tire for 'no charge' amidts these alternator issues.

Thought I'd chime in here, was just sifting through ebay and came across this wagon that's listed as being in the pacific northwest. Maybe you could contact the seller and if it's near enough to you, go fetch some parts off of it. Best of luck, sorry about your crunch there.

parts.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93-94-LOYALE-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-/230573660582?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALoyale&vxp=mtr&hash=item35af42d9a6

On a side note, now that I took a closer look and realized the scrap car was a newer loyale, I was just wondering, what parts are interchangable between the GLs and the Loyales. Obviously, bumpers are diff. But what about stuff like the grille, fenders, etc?

On a side note, now that I took a closer look and realized the scrap car was a newer loyale, I was just wondering, what parts are interchangable between the GLs and the Loyales. Obviously, bumpers are diff. But what about stuff like the grille, fenders, etc?

All the parts are basically interchangeble from the 85-86 wagons to the 87-94 wagons, it was just a cosmetic facelift.

I am looking for a parts car, but I need it to be a light blue 85 or 86 in excellent shape if possible, I want it to be as little work as possible to get it fixed.

-Bill

I don't know how easy it's going to be for you to find a light blue 85-88 in excellent shape let alone for the work required to fix it. This is just food for thought and you don't have to take my advice, but if I were you, I'd just take whatever you can get in the mean-time just to make it look better if your state is stringent about sharp edges on vehicles, and then take your time to find the right parts. Pulling off the body panels to get to the skeleton underneath, and then to start straightening it all out, is quite a job. That's unless you're going to have it done in a shop of course. The girlfriend had her 93 loyale for less than two weeks, and it was MINT, and she drove it into a light-post. Same side too. Very similar damage actually.

I used a hand cranked come along winch strapped to an F350 super duty to pull the innerfender wall back into shape, and then just went to town with hammers to straighten the rest out. Came out pretty good.

Either way, good luck with your endeavors!

I Kindly suggest you to Look at the incident as an opportunity!

... Pulling off the body panels to get to the skeleton underneath, and then to start straightening it all out, is quite a job. ...

I am Sure that you can fix it!

I've done almost the same repair on my 2.7 Wagon (Can be seen Pictures & Procedures here) and if you can take your time, That subaru could look even Better than Before.

Kind Regards.

The actual damage to the unibody structure really isnt that bad, and I'll be able to fix that no problem. I dont want to deal with the paint or bodywork because I just dont have time to do it, and I cant afford to pay a shop to fix it. Also, its my mom's car, and she doesnt want to drive a multi-colored wagon every day to work. We have back up vehicles, so it can sit for a while until the right parts show up. Then it will just be a matter of bolting on the new body panels and lights.

Or maybe I can convince her to give it to me for my birthday..... Then I could really do something special with it.....

-Bill