Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forget the Weber Swap: Now Aeroinjector! (formely known as AeroCarb)

Has anyone already Swapped the Original Carburetor (Hitachi) on Subaru engines, with one of those AeroCarbs, now renamed as Aeroinjector?

Those are widely used on Aircraft conversions, but some people are Running them on cars.

Here is their Website:

http://www.aeroconversions.com/products/aerocarb/index.html

Also, I Saved a ScreenShot from their website with info:

AeroCarb.jpg

Here you can see an EA81 with aeroinjector:

IMG_1109ss.jpg

List.jpg

Has anyone done that Swap on any Subaru car?

I can see how it would work with throttle on/off. Kinda wonder how it would do with driving in a normal situation. You know, accelerate, shift, etc. ...

Seems like it doesn't have Butterfly but it Controls acceleration in other way, explained in their website.

...Buy one and report back here. :)

Well... I wish I Could, but someone at the AUSubaru forums done that.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
add the Link

Has anyone already Swapped the Original Carburetor (Hitachi) on Subaru engines, with one of those AeroCarbs, now renamed as Aeroinjector?

Those are widely used on Aircraft conversions, but some people are Running them on cars.

Do you have any links to examples of them on cars?

I can't imagine that they would work very well at all in practice. Auto and Aero engines have very different usage and operating conditions, and their intake systems have different designs because of it.

When you think of how ridiculously complicated automotive carburetors were, I'm sure that the auto engineers would have jumped at the chance to use a carb with just two moving parts if they could have. ;) Pretty much every item on the "no xyz to worry about" feature list for the AeroInjector is/was present on the automotive carbs to solve a specific need. ;)

Yes, but the secondary jets, accelerator pumps, bowls/floats, off-idle circuits, chokes, etc, were all in place well before emissions tightened up. ;)

Actually, they're not nearly as complicated as they seem. Mechanically, that is. They're pretty simple. I rebuilt a rochester 2bbl carb on my Nova last summer, and the whole process was a breeze.

A very dusty...rusty....dirty breeze.

It's nothing new - it's a variable venturi carb. They use them on motorcycles all the time. Harley carbs are basically the same but could actually be used for an automotive application. The largest of the Harley carbs are actually used quite frequently as upgrades on the Suzuki Samurai 1.3. They aren't big enough for a 1.8 though.

Big problems for automotive use:

1. They lack any kind of choke. Cold enrichment is accomplished manually with the mixture control.

2. (this version) has a manual mixture adjustment that has to be dialed in for each desired RPM and running condition you wish to run at. It does NOT manually adjust with throttle (venturi) position. Couldn't be run from a single cable hooked to a gas pedal

3. It has no provision for ported vacuum and being a variable venturi design - it doesn't even have a place you could add such a feature. This is the biggest problem with running the Harley VV carbs - no place to hookup the distributor vacuum advance so you have to recurve the disty to be 100% mechanical or go with something like EDIS or an MSD system.

GD

Simple and neat.

But does not seem to be practical for constant varied throttle use in a car. You would have to have an EGT gauge (Exhaust Gas Temp). And constantly be adjusting the mix as you drive.

In aircraft you tend to just set the throttle and leave it during different stages of flight. While watching the gauge and adjusting the mix to keep it in a certain range.

I've spent some time here and there in some cockpits.

Now if someone figured out all the details and is enjoying one in their ride. Well more power to them. :)

I'll stick to the Weber I just bought. :)

(thought being an aircraft nut, this appeals to my "airplane geek" side....)

(thought being an aircraft nut, this appeals to my "airplane geek" side....)

which is part of why i love my XT.

and may be why I was checking this out most of the day. pretty neat little gizmo!

also it does say that you can run a intake tube. which is where you could pick up ported vacuum? (not sure about that..)

Edited by zukiru

on a side note, however, is it *really* all that unpractical to just throw one on our cars and leave it at W.O.T? How fast would we go? 70? 80? 90?

Just kiddin, and yes I know. Our cars are capable of speed; they just take awhile to get there.

I've hit 97 in my GL :)

I probably would have been doing 100 if I had this aerocarb though! haha

on a side note, however, is it *really* all that unpractical to just throw one on our cars and leave it at W.O.T? How fast would we go? 70? 80? 90?

Just kiddin, and yes I know. Our cars are capable of speed; they just take awhile to get there.

I've hit 97 in my GL :)

I probably would have been doing 100 if I had this aerocarb though! haha

Did you drive it off a cliff? :D

also it does say that you can run a intake tube. which is where you could pick up ported vacuum? (not sure about that..)

There is no throttle plate or idle circuit to facilitate the engine running with a throttle plate closed. Thus ported vacuum is not possible on this device.

It IS NOT suited to automotive use. Period.

I agree it's neat to see a VV carb big enough for a Subaru engine. But it's purely acedemic. It's the same price as a brand new Weber and by itself it would be a nightmare to make it move a car down the road.

GD

after looking at it for a few min. now im wonder about the possibilities of running a turbo thrue one of these things.

You could do it - for constant throttle applications. But it would be dangerous under boost because the mixture has to be manually adjusted. Get a little too lean and hit detonation under boost - kiss your engine goodbye.

Frankly you are better off with a multi-barrel carb that can be jetted for correct mixture under boost. Either that or a boost enrichment injector.

GD

You could do it - for constant throttle applications. But it would be dangerous under boost because the mixture has to be manually adjusted. Get a little too lean and hit detonation under boost - kiss your engine goodbye.

Frankly you are better off with a multi-barrel carb that can be jetted for correct mixture under boost. Either that or a boost enrichment injector.

GD

I know there are carbs specifiacally designed for turbo's but just seem's like this might be a better desighn to be used.

But with all the trouble one would have to go thrue it would be way easyer to just go MPFI and go with a time tested setup.

I would like to think they could build this type of carburetor for automotive use tho, would be nice for those long steep hill climbs and other odd angles that i have notised my weber isn't to fond of. This post definatly gets your imagination goin' for sure. just the idea of having a carb that doesn't need a float on a offroad rig sounds great!