Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Define "insane": V12...

jarl

The thing that is not completely clear for me, is the V12 engine's Source...

Did that came factory in any toyota Car? ... if so, Which one?

Well if you read the posts, it's been written about and it's a toyota GZG50 Century. 97-09.

The thing that excites me is that this crazy project is in Australia :D But half a continent away, it's still exciting though!

I'm pretty sure this is a conversion being done by a company in queensland, I've seen 2 conversions from this company and I must say that their work is VERY neat and through. Awesome work!

Cheers

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

Holy poopsnot, amazing that it fits so well.

However, it's only a 5.0 liter and puts out just 300hp. But it's got one smooth torque curve. Peak torque is 355ft-lbs at 4000rpms, but will still put out 300ft-lbs at 1200rpms!

Doncha wanna just mate that to a dual-range transmission? :D

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder how long before the strut towers meet eachother in the middle of the car or he pops a windsheild. You can't just plop a high output engine in a small car without beefing up the body.

This is my car.

And this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen commented about it.

That is all.

Well it is a true engineering question, ]as it is a real concer about putting a much bigger engine in a car then was meant for it (and a true structural concern) i will take your response as one of nievity about structure and leave this thread.

Valid concerns about supporting that engine, however didn't the original thread say that he had to custom fab a K-member? One would imagine that he'd build it heavily reinforced. Also, I doubt the V12 really weighs as much as you'd think.

the v12 and th400 is less weight forward than the ej. With full weight the car is sitting higher than before.

The cross member is probably about 200% stiffer in compression.

The chassis is reinforced across the width of the car, and the engine mounts are further outboard.

All in all...Car has less stress, an inherantly balanced v12 that doesnt even knock a coin off its edge when turning the starter motor over, and has its f/r weight balance moved further back with at most 20-30more kg total weight mainly from the R230 rear diff.

I dont think the strut towers are going to magically fall in, like some 1960's designed american chassis. I dont think the windscreen will implode. The car is stiff enough to jack one corner off the ground and still maintain panel and door alignment. This isnt a mustang, its a gen 3 liberty with gen4 reinforcement and a whole lot more.

So no, my comments were not naivety, they were in astonishment of such a stupid comment, and then an irrelevant comparison.

That said, I appreciate any criticism as the thing is nearing completion and its good to hear other peoples impressions and thoughts. A lot of the input is a result of passing comments Ive taken onboard.

What makes you think a giant hollow alloy block is much heavier than an EZ30, which the gen3 was also deigned for? (hint: it's 14kg heavier...).

• 2 weeks later...

Because a th400 is easy. Works well. Is proven. Is cheaper, and already built.

T56 would be more expensive, need gay concentric clutch and be of no benefit to the car anyway

Original gearbox is an a340...nothing wrong with it. But dont have one.

• 2 weeks later...

th400 takes the power and torque

is 1/2 the price of the 4l80 because its already built and rebuilt fresh from a turbo 1uz drag car.

I wont miss overdrive as I have 6 gears in my 3.0RB gen4 if I want to go anywhere.

The th400 is two clicks for 140mph skids. Exactly what the car is made for, leaving 11's everywhere for a laugh and nothing else.