Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poncin 6x6 Rare find!

There was one of these in my family when I was a kid and it was a blast, I saw it on craigslist the other day and had to snag it. There was two in the area and I determined that this is the one we didn't have. They were both sold by a relative at the same time 12 years ago.

It was running like death when I picked it up but it had enough power to drive on the trailer. Long story short, I determined that I had fuel, spark and NO compression in one cylinder. After taking the valve cover off I spotted the problem, the push rod popped off the rocker arm and got stuck in there just right and that valve was stuck open. I pulled it apart and put it back together, Adjusted all of the valves and it runs great now! I am thinking the valve lash got so far out of spec that the rod was able to fall out, or it got over reved. I hope it stays in there.

It has a Citroen 650cc fan cooled twin with a 4 speed transmission. It also has a Citroen brake and electrical system. The parts are a pain in the butt to find but they are out there (mostly in France).

I have searched high and low online for days and found virtually NOTHING on the vehicle it's self. It is a PONCIN SNOW FLY. If anyone has any info or knows anyone with one lets hear about it! The "vehicle number" on the tag is 80, so I assume there is not many out there.

101_1859.jpg

101_1861.jpg

101_1866.jpg

101_1867.jpg

101_1868.jpg

101_1869.jpg

101_1872.jpg

101_1874.jpg

101_1876.jpg

Interesting and nice score! I haven't seen one of those before. Does it have a skid steer transmission? The wheels and controls look a little like on the Max-IV 6-wheel I have. It uses a Borg Warner T-20 skid steer transmission and the controls look a little bit like on the Poncin. You might ask around on http://www.6x6world.com/forums/forum.php to see if anyone has Poncin info.

Interesting and nice score! I haven't seen one of those before. Does it have a skid steer transmission? The wheels and controls look a little like on the Max-IV 6-wheel I have. It uses a Borg Warner T-20 skid steer transmission and the controls look a little bit like on the Poncin. You might ask around on http://www.6x6world.com/forums/forum.php to see if anyone has Poncin info.

Yea I am going to get on the forum of 6x6world. As far as I can tell the two brake calipers are mounted to the transmission even in the cars this engine/trans came out of.

Sounds good. Those brake calipers look interesting. I thought maybe they had something to do with the steering.

Does the Poncin have chains to drive all three wheels on each side? Just curious.

I didn't notice you're from WNY at first. I wonder if that Poncin might have been made by Recreative Industries or an associated company, being how some of the mechanisms and the wheels look a lot like their Max ATV. They're on Walden Ave just east of the city.

Sounds good. Those brake calipers look interesting. I thought maybe they had something to do with the steering.

Does the Poncin have chains to drive all three wheels on each side? Just curious.

I didn't notice you're from WNY at first. I wonder if that Poncin might have been made by Recreative Industries or an associated company, being how some of the mechanisms and the wheels look a lot like their Max ATV. They're on Walden Ave just east of the city.

It does have chains to drive the wheels. I haven't opened the cases up yet but I have some spare chain in a bucket and its huge. It's about an inch wide or maybe a little bigger, and the rollers are a half inch or so.

According to the Poncin tag on the machine it was made in France.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That is a Very Nice Vehicle and a Very interesting Project for sure.

I've seen some (very Few) of those here, in my Country...

I Wonder why someone will Need such traction here where Never Snows... For Muddy race Competitions?

Well...

...Argo made similar ATV's, even with 8 wheels.

Some years ago I was on a Traffic Jam on one of the Capital Citie's Boulevards; then suddenly I Saw one of those eight Wheelers 8X8 in the Bed of a Medium Hyundai Truck, so I was able to grab my Chinese Cellphone and shoot a Photo of it while Driving (well, still Stuck on the Traffic Jam) my Subie.

Here's the Photo:

8X8.jpg

Let me Know what do you Think about that.

Kind Regards.