Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift for 14" wheels?

noob2soob22

i plan on putting some 14's on my 83 wagon.

worse case scenario i get some rubbing. either from the tire rubbing the wheel well over a bump, or from making turns.

what would i then be looking at. buying some spring blocks?

if so i would like two go wtih a 2" lift. but the rear sits higher than the front.

should i compensate with the blocks to make it a level ride, or leave the factory ride height and just add the blocks.

If you run a 195/60 14 it will be within 1.some percent of the original tire diameter on a 185/70 rim. I ran 195/60 14's on my 88 dl. the wheels fill out better and have a wider stance, but no rubbing or lift required, and only 1. some percent difference on the speedo.

also the 4wd ea81's will have height adjustable struts

Like was said if it's 4WD you can adjust the suspension a bit. (As long as the struts were not replaced with non adjustable ones at some point)

I have 195/75/14 tires on my 83 with no lift (except the factory adjustments). There is some rubbing though at full steering lock on the inside rear of the front wheel wells. And I had to cut out the bottom rear of the front fenders a little.

My last set of tires were 205/75/14 and they only rubbed slightly more. Hardly even noticed it except for the clean spot in the wheel wells.

A lift is in the plans though.

Lifting consists of blocks to drop the crossmember and struts, look around, there are threads in here with pics, check the off road FAQ. You need to keep the axles very close to the factory angles. Even with just my factory adjustments up. I tend to go through front axles a bit faster than what would be normal. But the adjusters ended up seizing there after too many trips to the sand dunes...... So I guess that's just life. ;) Glad I can get GCKs locally for pretty cheap.