Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So now I have a Toyota (my 2nd one too!)

obk25xt

Okay, I decided it would be easier to buy someone else's hard work in a rig rather than do the work myself. I am mostly a "built not bought" type of guy, but I'm learning that I don't always have time to build EVERYTHING..... So I bought this......

1984, 22re EFI swap (complete harness, zero cut wires), 5" lift, 33 BFG's, bilstien 5100's, KC's, CD, CB, flowmaster 2.25", 125,000miles on truck, 90,000 on engine, very nice bob job,interior is perfect, came with a couple extra 3rd's and an IFS steering box.

I'm the 3rd owner, the kid I bought it from said it was 100% stock and untouched from the original (old guy) owner. All the work looks real nice and I think he did a fantastic job.

All I wanna do is add hi-steer, and build some springs in the rear to get rid of those blocks!

Pics are from the guy I bought it from so I can't take credit but.......

(I'm so stoked) :headbang:

110311113450.jpg

110911160756.jpg

Edited by obk25xt

Nice Score! Looks a lot like mine, only Browner...

For the rear I've heard that Chevy rear springs from something or another are the way to go... I actually have a 84 4Runner frame sitting here with them on it, they are longer and with stock shackles give about 3" of lift and a lot more flex. I'd make you a deal on the ones I have here if you'd be willing to come get them.

-Bill

oh so coo, I am going to be owner of a 85 EFI Xtracab with 22re and solid axles, with roll bar, push bar, tow hitch, and back topper at the end of December it will be mine.. It has 33" tires, lockers, on-board AC compressor, etc, and fully reconditioned and west coast no rust. cannot wait to post it once it arrives. also has heated seats power windows sunrrof, new brakes, new everything.

I will be selling some of my stuff to pay for it.

Edited by bheinen74

oh so coo, I am going to be owner of a 85 EFI Xtracab with 22re and solid axles, with roll bar, push bar, tow hitch, and back topper at the end of December it will be mine.. It has 33" tires, lockers, on-board AC compressor, etc, and fully reconditioned and west coast no rust. cannot wait to post it once it arrives. also has heated seats power windows sunrrof, new brakes, new everything.

I will be selling some of my stuff to pay for it.

Let me know what your selling, maybe i can help.

Nice, nothing was wrong with the 1st truck, but I like this one better :clap:

The lege room alone makes it a better truck than the first, not to mention the RE at the end of that 22. Nice truck. Let's go wheeling.

I'm trying to keep track of how many of you followed me to Toyotas after the big uproar after I bought mine 8 years ago. lol 7? 8? more?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I'm kinda goin off the deep-end with this... zzz

Truck came with (extra parts):

A single 4.56 third member

IFS box

Bought from a guy on yotatech:

2 Lock-Right lockers

I bought off CL/Ebay:

F250 front shock towers

14" travel shocks

Rear u bolt flip kit

A second 4.56 third member

I've ordered..... ALL from SKY's maunfacturing:

Chevy 63's kit

Rear shock upper/lower mounts

Boomerang shackles

IFS box HD mount

Front knuckle rebuild kit

High Steer

Front U bolt flip kit

Have left to source:

Rear springs, I think I have some 63's sourced local, but am considering F150's as well. The F150's are a little shorter on the rear side if ran backwards from what I read.

I'm hoping to get underway on this thru January, first will be the lockers/gears. Then the susp/steering. It's kinda like this.... "Well, I can't change this till' I change that.. And can't do that till' this is moved.. And gotta move this to get to that...." My goal is to actually have it be 1-2" lower, wayyyy more flexy, ride like a Cadillac, and steer, well, better. :rolleyes:

When It's all said and done though, I'm expecting to have a potent little rig! :brow:

I'll take pics through the build process too.....

Edited by obk25xt

• 3 weeks later...

I bought 4cyl lockers, and they don't work with the V6 thirds..... :banghead:

I re-geared the truck, that was a good decision. Currently it's open f/r, I think I'm gonna just spool the rear and run the front open.

Picked up some 63" springs today. :brow:

Have a LARGE pile of parts ready to go on this thing, hope to get some of it done soon.

• 1 month later...

Good luck with this Spencer it sounds like youll be busy for a while lol. When you're ready to hit some trails gimme a call. And if you need anyone to hand you some tools let me know. You know im pretty good at that:lol: Im glad to see youre gettin your Toyota fix on.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up some lockers for the V6 thirds..... Installed one in the rear last night, finished up this morning. Probably won't do the front until I have a lil more time....

Couple of pics to prove it..... :rolleyes:

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

And if you REALLY wan see the whole process..... Here check this out..... This is what I referenced before I did the install.....

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/lockright-locker-install-into-v6-rear-write-up-pics-179241/

Another thing I had to do.... Was kind of a PITA.... Well, was really not too bad but took a minute to diagnose correctly. The guy I bought it from complained of a slight miss every now and again at low RPM, at first I didn't really notice it, but then.... I did.... And it started getting worse, missing at more RPM range and eventually completely dropping the #1 cyliner....

Great.....

I did the normal tuneup stuff.... No fix....

Timing... Nope....

Adjust the valves... Nope.... They were fine.... (fixed leaky valve cover seal though)

Looked for vacuum leaks... Nope....

Grounds... Nope....

Did a buncha research, learned about some bad OEM splicing on the injector signal wires that commonly become a problem. So, I tore into the harness, found them. They looked OK, not great, but not horrible either. Regardless, I cut out and soldered in new connections/splices and put everything back together. Fingers crossed!

Nope....

Now I'm frustrated....

So, I pull the injectors.... YEP.... Couple of the pigtail plugs were cracked/broken, and the injectors themselves looked like poop. Soldered in some new pigtails, put 4 rebuilt injectors in and it runs perfect again. The kid told me the engine had ~90,000 on it when he swapped it in. I'm thinking more like 190,000. This is how they looked....

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Sooooo, since then it's been trouble AND leak free.... It was a lil bit frustrating, but I'm still happy with my purchase and now the toy and are getting along great. Every relationship has its ups and downs right!? :-p