Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BOSS 2" EA82 Lift Kits- $100!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey nice to know off a great 2in lift. Let me ask you this can I stick this lift on my 1990 on fly 4wd wagon ? Then I was thinking of putting a 2in body lift as well, that gives me 4in, without putting to much stress on axles n all that stuff. ? Would this work and I have 15in 4 lug rims what is the max size tire I could put on this with n without cutting. Also would I have to get the sterring extension since adding the 2in body? Anxious to find out I have a 89 wagon w 6in lift blown head gasket for sale if anybody wants to buy.if not I keep it n make itmy extreme wamper n roller..thanks gleesuby

• 1 month later...

I had this kit on my car when I bought it and it tore through CV axles. Just putting that out there. I just lowered the engine and transmission 1 1/4" today, This also involves lengthening the steering coupler (I could not locate one the right size to put in) and a few minor things like shortening a radiator hose and modifying the cage around the fan....So far the angle of the CV's looks awesome now and I am very happy and hopeful for the outcome...

if youre going through asmany axles as  you report, youre doing it wrong.  or youre getting crap parts. this thread is pretty dead as  well as these kits are no longer in production. lmk if you wanna sell  yours for 150...ill buy it

• Like 1

Doing what wrong? It had the lift in it when I bought it. Yeah, they are not rebuilt original axles, so they are not the best, but they should not, and do not break every month or two when the axle is at the right angle. Since I just dropped the engine and transmission it should be fine now. I want to keep the lift, and I don't want my axle boots to tear so easy. Lots of people find the same thing with torn boots with this car and a 2" lift. 

I could have inched the boots up and strapped them higher, as well as silicon boots instead, but it was easier to just drop the E&T also I figured if it stresses the boot, it may also stress the inside of the axle as it too is not prob made to take that angle. 

Driving lifted cars requires a disciplined throttle, attention to cornering, and the sea saw effect you get when you lift one. the learning curve entails lots of split boots and burning grease. when you leave a stop the front jumps up and stretches everything out. even worse if youre turning. 

You, however, have gone the extra mile and will most likely see your cvs last longer.

My comments refer to a somewhat ranty thread about recurring failure. I stepped in to say that the kit on your car is among a short list of correctly constructed sets. Very few folks take the time or effort as Bill when he made his BOSS kits. Ive never heard of another complaint, therefore its likely you, or your parts, or your car is damaged.

Okay, Whatever. I was not in any way complaining about Bills kit. I was simply sharing that it has been my finding that with 'a' two inch lift (not Bills in specific, though I do have his) the axle angle is too extreme for normal run of the mill boots to handle. Someone earlier in this thread was talking about axle angles and extended steering couplers and I thought they may find hearing about my experience useful.  A lot of other people have also communicated that with 2" lifts they tear boots who had other lift kits. Some people like yourself advocate very careful driving. Some people say 'two months that's good, I go through them every month'. Some people drop the engine to correct the angle. To each his own. I neither prefer to go through boots/axles a lot, nor to drive with excessive care. The town I live in is mountainous rocky dirt roads with huge rocks sticking up and ruts. The car is lifted in part to avoid bottoming out in these conditions, and the axles need to be able to take the conditions as well. Sharp steep turns, etc.
I simply came across this thread and mentioned my experience with this lift kit and some modifications that I were recommended to me and which I am finding helpful. -Strangely, you seem to have interpreted this as an attack on 'Bill's" kits, and so in turn are attacking me and calling me "damaged". I'm not sure where your emotional perspective or social skills developed, but I find them somewhat lacking. 

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to say this on this way dead thread.  First off i just sold my bill lift for 100 bucks so i know i should of seen what they were going for. 2nd the dam thing was just as good as the day i put it in so hopefully the new owner likes it.  And 3 i never had any problems with axles or tires getting ate up.  I think you may of had an underlying issue.  It has been debated by me and a few others to put in a 1 inch drop on the dross members with the 2 inch lift but you honestly dont need to.  Just keep your front end in check and you should be ok.    Loved the lift Bill, many memories with it.