Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swap 1998 2.2 engine into 1998 outback

elcat

i love my 1998 Subaru Legacy L Wagon which needs major body work after an accident. I have found an 1998 Outback for $800 (2.5L engine) with a blown head gasket. Is the 2.2 swap to an Outback doable? (I am not a mechanic and on a really tight budget. Just need to either keep my car on the road or stay in a comparable Subaru. The Legacy wagon was the best car I have had.)

Also what is a ball park figure for installing an engine into a car ?

thanks!

Rather easy actually.

You will need the Y pipe from the new engine (the 2.5 had a dual port exhaust and the 2.2 I believe will have a single port exhaust).

Search aroubd here - a very common swap.

New timing belt, seal baffle plate, most of us would do atleast timing belt idlers and probably seals while it's out. You do the major maintenance and the engine should be good for another 100k.

Appreciated.

And you never know a member here may be close and be able to help you out or point you to someone local who has done this before.

It takes less than a day. All the electronics plug right in. Only thing you'll be missing is a place to bolt the PS lines to on the passenger side of the engine at the intake.

I am assuming both engines have EGR which is a pretty safe bet. The 2,5 for sure has it - look on back of engine towards drivers firewall for a hocky puck looking thing with green writing on the top. Make sure the 2.2 has it too and you're golden. Odds are very high that a 98 2.2 has this.

If the 2.2 does not have this you will never be able ot get the CEL out - which means it won' tpass emissions if you need them.