Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 impreza 2.2 sohc 1 year only ?

justfixit1_2007

I just bought a 1999 impreza with a bad 2.2 sohc motor.when i tried to find a used motor was told it was a 1 year only why?Is it because of single exhaust ports?Can i put any other year ej 22 -25 motor in it.Can i put a ej25.Will the intake manifolds intrchange? my engine has no egr valve.Not looking to upgrade to more power just get it going .Would like to use a used engine from japan (low miles) Iam a retired mechanic with a shop so if i have to rework exhaust thats ok. thanks for any help.

99 is a phase II engine. the heads are different, so the manifold won't fit the older heads.

Heads are the same virtually to the Phase II SOHC 2.5, so you have some options.

1. Find a 99 (phase II) 2.2, for a direct fit. In 99 Legacies (non-outback) and Imps. Too bad your in IA, there is a wrecking yard 20mi from my house that has one in a 99 Leg......140k and it purrs....bad tranny. PM me for the guys # if you want.

2. You could directly swap in a 2000-2005 2.5 from Outback, Legacy or Forrester. Plug the EGR port on the drivers head, use your Original EJ22 intake and exhaust for a bolt in, plug and play.

3. With a swap of throttle bodies, Intake Harness, and maybe Temp senders....you can use an Older Phase I engine. Requires some creativity and perhaps living with a CEL for a few things...???

Edited by Gloyale

99 is a phase II engine. the heads are different, so the manifold won't fit the older heads.

Heads are the same virtually to the Phase II SOHC 2.5, so you have some options.

1. Find a 99 (phase II) 2.2, for a direct fit.

2. You could directly swap in a 2000-2005 2.5 from Outback, Legacy or Forrester. Plug the EGR port on the drivers head, use your Original EJ22 intake and exhaust for a bolt in, plug and play.

3. With a swap of throttle bodies, Intake Harness, and maybe Temp senders....you can use an Older Phase I engine. Requires some creativity and perhaps living with a CEL for a few things...???

On phase II's 2000 or so 2.5 and 2.2 intakes are interchangable as suggested in #2?

• 2 weeks later...
1. Find a 99 (phase II) 2.2

or a 2000 or 2001, any 99+ EJ22. there aren't many though. in 99 they are found in some legacy and some imprezas. 2000 and maybe 2001 they are found only in imprezas. any of those will work.

a phase II EJ25 will also work - 1999 Forester & Impreza RS (RS models only) and 2000+ Legacy/Outbacks.

Well i found a used 2.2 engine from low mileage used engines $975.00 delivered to my door 100.200 miles on it

that's not a bad price, glad you found one. :clap:

1999 impreza 2.2 1 year only.
that is not correct as far as interchangeability and would help if you edited and corrected it for future users. junkyards go by computers which don't know all the interchanges, only a percentage - dealers don't typically do swaps so they aren't the most well versed either.

having actually done these swaps before, along with others on here, there are other motors that will work. it doesn't help the next person with this question to repeat incorrect information, you can also use:

2000 - 2001 Impreza 2.2's

1999 Legacy 2.2's

some 99 and all 2000-2004 2.5's are also plug and play into that vehicle.