Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm Considering Cheating on my Subarus...

With a Ford of all things :-/

I'm looking at working off a little Merkur XR4Ti.

Its basically Ford's version of an Audi, albeit RWD.

2.3 I4 Turbo, 5 speed, 4 seater coupe, pretty much loaded...

Its completely German built and designed.

I haven't gotten to drive it, as it needs a tune up, but the previous owner (good friend) said it drives nice.

Any opinions?

I'll get pics next time I'm up there.

It'll be a while since he's vacationing in Florida and its a 2 hour drive from my house.

Twitch

I have read up on these quite a bit.

Plans are to put an intercooler in after the initial tune up and first impressions.

I know that 2.3 is tough.

I know Rousch ran one at 750hp for a racing series, so I have no doubt that

sucker'll take a beating.

I'm just looking to keep it as my luxury hooning car, if that makes any sense :-p

Its a got the full luxury treatment inside, but is RWD and a 5sp :D

If only it had been the Sierra XR4x4 they imported... :brow:

JK. My AWD craving is solved by my Subarus.

Twitch

My first car was an '88 tbird turbo coupe. Still have the car but it hasnt been driven in a year and is ready to be parted/scrapped/sold.

As said, the 2.3 turbo is solid as a rock, and stock for stock has a stronger bottom end than a 5.0.

The Merkur got a nifty independent rear, but with a lame 7.5" diff and drums. My bird has a solid 8.8 with discs.

Easiest upgrade for you is to run an intercooler, and update your engine to 87-88 tbird spec. Not positive what you have, but the 87-88 has a 3" air meter, 36lb injectors, tmic, and an la2 or la3 code ecu. The SVO got a very similar setup. Basically the difference is 30-40hp or so.

After you swap out to the later stuff, you can turn the boost up, open the exhaust, etc. Very easy to get up to the 250hp range with mostly stock stuff.

Also beware, the XR4 used a T9 instead of T5 trans, which is known for its weakness. A T5 is easy to swap in though I guess.

I was considering upgrading to the T-bird engine components, but that all depends on pricing and availability.

It may sound like a good idea, but if it costs me $1500 just in parts, its not worth it.

Or if I have to scour the countryside to find anything...

I'm sure I can upgrade the rear drums somehow.

Maybe retrofit EA front discs on there :P

I'm not concerned about the tranny, I won't be racing it.

And if it breaks, UPGRADE! :-p

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing you'll really have to watch out for are electrical gremlins. These cars has lots of electrical issues according to my father who was the service manager of a local Ford/Mercury dealer for they're entire sales run in the US. If everything works at this point I would think you'll be fine.

The only thing you'll really have to watch out for are electrical gremlins. These cars has lots of electrical issues according to my father who was the service manager of a local Ford/Mercury dealer for they're entire sales run in the US. If everything works at this point I would think you'll be fine.

Its an 80's German car.

A Ford at that.

I'm expecting electrical issues :P

If it starts to bug out I'll just rewire the circuits as they fail.

Twitch