Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 GL wagon build ej swap lift etc.......

greentowtruck

Well starting at the beginning My Dad gave me a 1986 gl wagon 5speed DR carbed, it has about 244k on it. It kinda runs or at least made the 350 mile trip home but wouldnt idle and had no power, couldnt even get it past 3500 rpm with the throttle wide open. engine sounded good but no oil pressure at idle and the carb was leaking everywhere. suprisingly it doesnt have the subaru tick.

well tonight it went in the shop to start the build into a daily driven wheeler/parts runner and work rig. I have a 180k EJ22 from a 93 legacy going into it. already started thinning out a legacy harness for it and bought a set of front hubs and rear drums to drill for 6 lug. Waiting for SJR to email me saying the flywheel and adapter are ready for pickup. He has been great so far with prompt emails and replies to questions.

still trying to figure out the details on the lift but I have to build my own as the budget wont allow for a ready made one. planning 4" crossmember blocks and maybe up to 6" strut blocks if they will work without stressing the suspension too much. I still have alot to learn about these subies but I learn quick lol

plans

EJ22 swap

4" lift minmum

27-29" good mud tires (no all terrains)

6 lug conversion

custom bumpers by me

maybe a roll cage

rock sliders/nerf bars

pics as I am able to work on it between paying jobs

damn that sucks about the damage... i had a friend with some front end damage and the ghetto fix we did was to get a chain with hooks, wrap one end around a tree, and then either put the hook in, or wrap the chain around where its messed up, put it in neutral with a couple feet of slack on the chain, and then have like 4 or so people push it backward as fast as they can so when the chain tightens up the weight of the car wants to keep going and yea just pull out whatever dents and damage you can, see if its good enough, and if so weld some support in if it suits ur fancy to keep it that way.

I think that is what was done to this one. Been thinking it over and may just build an entire front subframe with the lift. I would tie all the front suspension mounts together and continue all the way up under the radiator with new radiator mounts also. maybe I can make enough room for a bigger radiator or use the legacy rad from the car I am getting the ej22 from.

Thanks for the bolt sizes. I will figure something out for repairing the damage, I figured on using the 2x4 box tube I already have or maybe even some round tube like I have done on a few hornet cars for skagit speedway. I have had to rebuild the entire front end on a couple of hondas they run out there.zzz:Flame::grin:

Well finished the wiring harness. still need to wrap and cover it but that will get done after I make sure it is all working in the car. There is progress though!!

also got my redrilled flywheel back from SJR today. I guess it is time to get back out in the cold shop and start turning wrenches again.

DSCF0236.jpg

oh yeah anyone have a cam sensor plug? it is missing off this harness I didn't notice it until after I started stripping it out.

Edited by greentowtruck

Thanks for the bolt sizes. I will figure something out for repairing the damage, I figured on using the 2x4 box tube I already have or maybe even some round tube like I have done on a few hornet cars for skagit speedway. I have had to rebuild the entire front end on a couple of hondas they run out there.zzz:Flame::grin:

If that dont work out for you, I have a front clip from a 87 wagon that I beefed up real good, I'd let it go cheap too. I can get some pics of it if you'd be interested

-Bill

Hey lookie there we are back online. pics of that front clip would be nice, if I go all Mad Max on the front the cops might get too interested in it. got the transmission dropped out and the front x members just getting ready to start cutting tube. The miata broke down though and I have to buy a coil pack for it. About 250-300 bux so the subie now has to wait a bit need the Daily driver while looking for a real paying job

• 4 months later...

Well this project Has been scratched from the to do list. I just got myself a 1995 legacy L wagon 2.2 5 speed. working on making it a street/rally type machine. Watch the for sale threads for parts from the GL project that is now dead. SJR adapter, harness and ecu, SJR strut plates all going up as well as parting the car out.