Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Legacy Turbo Sedan has ABS light on.

My ABS light is on in the Legacy. I read in the manual if it stays on, to have it checked by the dealer (HAHA!! Yeah right!). When i brake, sometimes i feel the peddle fall slightly and it shudders alittle. Sounds like the ABS is trying to work. The car's braking is also spurratic. Sometimes when i brake it has a very solid feel and slows down nicely. Some other times, it seems as if I have to press the peddle down farther to get it to stop.

Should i really take it to a dealer? Or is there something i can do to help maintain the ABS system. I noticed the ABS lines that run to the front passenger corner of the engine bay.

-Brian

If the ABS light comes on there is a fault somewhere - possibly in the circuit that switches on the light :drunk:

Jokes aside, the light means that the ABS will NOT function, it's off. Most common cause is broken or dirty pulse rings, which you need to check from behind the brake disc.

If these are okay, then maybe a wire connecting to one of these sensor assemblies is broken.

Sometimes, a faulty brake hose will trigger the light. Check all the brake hoses, if one or more is "ballooning" then the ABS computer gets confused because the brake line pressure fluctuates wildy.

If none of the above, then it might - God forbid - be an internal fault in the ABS computer :(

Everytime I get my brake job at Canadian Tires, the ABS light comes on...after about 1-2 minutes of driving. The ABS works for the first 2 minutes beautifully on snow and then the ABS lights comes on and stops working. When I told them, they looked at me with a blank face and refused to repair my ABS.:mad:....this happened twice. The first time, the sub fixed it self after a car wash and a rust inhibitor spray under the car....but not this time.

I don't know if this helps, but the last time I had that exact same thing happen to me, it was because my axle nut fell off!:eek: This caused the wheel bearing to separate, and since the abs sensor is in the bearing, the sensor was convinced the car wasn't moving. I lost my brakes, my steering slipped waaaaay out of alignment, and it was snowing so that was fun.

Moral of the story: when you go to fix it, MAKE SURE THE COTTER PIN IS IN THE NUT!!!! The last mechanic that saw the car (about a year ago, before I owned it) apparently doesn't understand the importance of such things. I'm just glad it happened AFTER I drove from Indiana to Seattle, WA!

Hope this never happens to you! Good luck man!

There are 2 other things which can cause the ABS light to come one in that car (I drive a '92 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon LE).

Low brake pads: the ABS light can be an indicator because the caliper has to squeeze a lot more to make the car stop. Can also indicate low brake fluid. Check it lately?

Alternator problems: last time mine went on, the alternator died the same night, like an hour later! (And yes, the manual says that it is an indicator of alternator failure).

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Thanks Em...

I just got the car yesterday, checked the oil and thats about it. The car needs new brakes.... seems like the rotors are starting to warp. Hope their as easy to replace as EA81's are.

Maybe after I got new pads, rotors and bleed the brakes things will change.

Are there any other proceedures involved when bleeding the brakes on a car with ABS?

-Brian