Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Stant "Xactstat" OEM thermostat available at parts stores!

Stant is now offering an "Xactstat" for Subaru. Part number 48457 (includes gasket). Looks exactly like OEM. Probably made by Tama.

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-48457-XA.../dp/B001FFY334

And www.rockauto.com has them for $11.04. They include the gasket. With a discount code that's $10.48. I toss them in with my order and it doesn't affect shipping much.

GD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right, I was going to ask about this. I have a good friend who owns the local Car Quest, and he was just telling me that there is now a thermostat that should work on Subarus. I figured that until some other brave soul tries one I'm sticking with original, having gone down that road in the past, but I am anxious to hear if these actually work.

Close inspection of their construction shows they were almost certainly made by Tama Enterprises Co. Ltd. - which is the OEM for Subaru. Further inspection of the box yields "Made in Japan" which would seem to agree with my speculation. I have bought Tama boxed thermostat's before and besides having the Tama emblem in place of the FHI one stamped on them they are identical in every way.

Thus I would expect performance to be identical to OEM since they are, in-fact - OEM produced.

GD

That's right, I was going to ask about this. I have a good friend who owns the local Car Quest, and he was just telling me that there is now a thermostat that should work on Subarus. I figured that until some other brave soul tries one I'm sticking with original, having gone down that road in the past, but I am anxious to hear if these actually work.

I just bought one from CarQuest, there in house premium one is exactly like the OEM...same size, grade, quality etc, etc. It was 15 and some change, came with a gasket too.

Much cheaper than the $25 dealer part. Thanks for the tip.

The stealership here wants 38 bucks, I about fliped out...usually they cut me a pretty good deal, and are (in general) only a few dollars more then Oreilly's on most of their parts. But that blew my mind away when they sold me that one...I had no choice, I needed the t-stat that day so I could get the "customer" down the road.

Edited by Mugs

I had bought several parts in preparation for car maintenance/repair last October. One thing I didn't get around too was coolant system.

After reading here and elsewhwere about the need to avoid aftermarket t'stats, I thought, 'great, I'll have to eat the t'stat I bought - or try to swap it for partial excahnge on the xacstat'. Turns out, the one RockAuto sent me IS an Xacstat. 48457 says made in japan on the box (also says 170degrees ???)

anyway, guess I'll use it - probably install it in April.

48457 says made in japan on the box (also says 170degrees ???)

That is correct. They need to open colder because it's on the inlet side of the water pump. It you put a 190 degree thermostat in one of these it would overheat constantly. My wagon sits at about 185 degrees (ECTS reading) at warm idle. Comes up to a little over 200 if I'm climbing a big hill.

Cool, too bad I just paid a dealer price for one.

I went to replace the one in the Justy, I have never seen such an impressive looking T-stat in my life. Aftermarket had the usual issues so i kept OE for now. It is just old but doesnt have a lot of miles on it.

Cool, too bad I just paid a dealer price for one.

I went to replace the one in the Justy, I have never seen such an impressive looking T-stat in my life. Aftermarket had the usual issues so i kept OE for now. It is just old but doesnt have a lot of miles on it.

I read about the aftermarket's problems after I had bought some parts and didn't realize I was sent Xacstat until recently. I figured I have to try to exchange a 'regular' one - or eat the loss.

Both my cars will wear out from age before miles.

• 1 month later...
That is correct. They need to open colder because it's on the inlet side of the water pump. It you put a 190 degree thermostat in one of these it would overheat constantly. My wagon sits at about 185 degrees (ECTS reading) at warm idle. Comes up to a little over 200 if I'm climbing a big hill.

My car seems to run cooler after I replaced my T-stat with the dealer one normal driving I see 170-190F

before it used to be 180-230F I had HG issues back then in which I set a warning alarm to go off when I started to go over 210F but seems a lot more happier now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...