Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Stant "Xactstat" OEM thermostat available at parts stores!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't kno if anyone noticed this, but when I searched Rockauto for this Stant one mentioned above, there is listed also one from Gates (#34012) which at least in the picture is identical, for $9.90. I called them and the woman said there's no correlation between use of same pic and that they are necessarily made by the same manuf, as any product sold may be supplied by various original makers. I don't suppose anybody's ever tried the Gates one? Thnkx

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, just received the Stant "xactstat" 48457 from Amazon.

Have concerns about using it because..."Made in Germany" is on the box, "78°C" is the only stamping I can find on it (no emblems), and only has two tabs that attach cage to the mounting plate instead of the four on my old one.

Anyone else get one like this? Vendor switch? Advice?

Hopefully thumbs for illustration show up.

Thanks!

post-38375-136027656091_thumb.jpg

post-38375-136027656096_thumb.jpg

post-38375-136027656103_thumb.jpg

post-38375-136027656108_thumb.jpg

Edited by sosubeme
typo

OK, mine differs from yours in only 2 ways that I can tell, the box says made in japan (in 3 languages like yours) and the 78*C marking is on the other side of the 'tickler'.

mine even has that offset dimple in the brass on the bottom of the 'wax filled slug' or w'ever. same construction and shape.

OK, mine differs from yours in only 2 ways that I can tell, the box says made in japan (in 3 languages like yours) and the 78*C marking is on the other side of the 'tickler'.

mine even has that offset dimple in the brass on the bottom of the 'wax filled slug' or w'ever. same construction and shape.

Thanks for the follow up 1 Lucky Texan, much appreciated! There is a dealership nearby. May wander over and have a look at one of theirs, before deciding if I should stick this one in.

Thanks for the follow up 1 Lucky Texan, much appreciated! There is a dealership nearby. May wander over and have a look at one of theirs, before deciding if I should stick this one in.

no problem, it was right there in my home 'office'.

I bought it over a year ago from RockAuto. Haven't decided to use it yet, but it was gonna be a maintenance replacement anyway - both cars are working well at present.

no problem, it was right there in my home 'office'.

I bought it over a year ago from RockAuto. Haven't decided to use it yet, but it was gonna be a maintenance replacement anyway - both cars are working well at present.

Maybe not the same Stant vendor?

In the middle of a t-belt, pulleys, cam and crank seals, WP, oil pump and cam O-rings job myself, hoping to finish up soon.

Then maybe it'll hold fluids! :banana:

I will just throw in about how when I got the Stant one that I just used in my t-belt kit job, that seems to be working fine, I decided not to use their rubber gasket, as the one that came with my Aisin water pump seemed much thicker and better constructed.

2 more cents...

I will just throw in about how when I got the Stant one that I just used in my t-belt kit job, that seems to be working fine, I decided not to use their rubber gasket, as the one that came with my Aisin water pump seemed much thicker and better constructed.

2 more cents...

Thanks for your input 1997reduxe!

Stopped by the dealership and had a look at the Subaru part. They matched an online dealer price, so I picked it up there along with the gasket. Compared to the Stant product, there are cosmetic differences, which may not have an impact upon functionality / performance.

Peace of mind and all else considered, I believe the Subaru thermostat is worth the $8.00 above what I paid for the Stant product, and will be using same when installing the new pump.

Cheers! :drunk:

post-38375-136027656118_thumb.jpg

post-38375-136027656124_thumb.jpg

post-38375-13602765613_thumb.jpg

post-38375-136027656135_thumb.jpg

Edited by sosubeme
typo.....again!

I'm sure the German one would have been fine. I've seen a few variants of the "OEM" EJ thermostat and as long as they have the same opening diameter, the machined jiggle pin, and the large diamter spring that we are all used to they have worked without issue. I've installed tons of thermostat's and this has been the case 100% of the time. I've seen at least three variants of the OEM design and all have been fine.

The one's that are a problem have a smaller diameter opening, a weak/small looking spring, and often no jiggle pin. These are the "domestic" equivelents and they aren't designed with cold-side control in mind. They are desiged for hot-side control systems as used on almost all domestic cars and trucks.

GD

B)  Thanks for the info GD, good to know!

Thought I'd bring it up as hadn't come across mention of it elsewhere.
Now I have a go-to spare for either vehicle. :)

I saw your post elsewhere concerning crank seal install issues, will pose questions there, hope you'll comment.

Hi all, just received the Stant "xactstat" 48457 from Amazon.

Have concerns about using it because..."Made in Germany" is on the box, "78°C" is the only stamping I can find on it (no emblems), and only has two tabs that attach cage to the mounting plate instead of the four on my old one.

Anyone else get one like this? Vendor switch? Advice?

Hopefully thumbs for illustration show up.

Thanks!

I got one from Amazon.com about 2 months ago and it's also made in Germany, just like the one you got. The only difference is that the temp carved on the t'stat is 170 F, not 78 C. I put a 2-year-old OEM unit and this new German one in hot water on the stove. This new one opened a tad sooner than the OEM which makes sense - 170 F is a tad lower than 78 F. I installed this German one on my 96 2.5 and have had no problems.

I got one from Amazon.com about 2 months ago and it's also made in Germany, just like the one you got. The only difference is that the temp carved on the t'stat is 170 F, not 78 C. I put a 2-year-old OEM unit and this new German one in hot water on the stove. This new one opened a tad sooner than the OEM which makes sense - 170 F is a tad lower than 78 F. I installed this German one on my 96 2.5 and have had no problems.

Thanks for your info, that's good to hear! I'll plan on using it the next time.:)

• 7 months later...

20130119_152528_zps37965f15.jpg

The T-stat on the left is the one Napa gave me when I did my EJ swap in my 80 wagon. The car took forever to heat up and often would not clear all the moisture off the windows. The new Stant one I installed looks a lot different and I actually thought I had ordered the wrong one due to the size difference but nope it installed as it should and works great so far. Car heats up quicker although I have not driven it long enough to see if I can actually defog all of the windows yet. Thanks GD for making this link thats how I heard about this great non-oem option. :cool:

• 1 month later...

i can attest to the fact that the wrong tstat in a subaru will cause ovrheating.. 03 forester that i just purchased, would overheat on the highway on any type of hill small, medium or large! Heat would be erratic (go from very hot to normal to warm to hot etc)... i was convinced that i had a blown head gasket so today i finally got some free time, hunted down one of these thermostats at pepboys, pulled the old one out and sure enough it was the small tstat shown on the left in the picture above (a big smile came to my face, then i realized that it might have been changed because they were trying to solve an overheating problem...sigh), so i swapped it out for the 48457 t stat. drove 20+ miles on the highway up various size hills that just earlier in the day made the forester overheat, NOW my temperature was steady and no signs of overheating... I think/hope its safe to say that my problems have been solved by this t stat.

ohh and BTW my headgaskets are leaking but its a minor external oil leak, and i can live with that! 

The xactstat that i got from pepboys said made in Germany.

Edited by Hakim Craddock

• 3 months later...

I ordered a Gates 34012 from rockauto a few days ago, mostly out of curiosity because their picture looked very similar to a Subaru OE stat.

It's not quite exactly the same as the pictures I can find of the Subaru part, but its so close I think itll work just fine for the $9 and change I paid for it. It bumped the shipping cost up by only $0.50 since it came from the same warehouse as some other parts I ordered.

Looks the same as the Stant version to me.

post-23241-0-04637900-1372105831_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed that OE new-gen. thermostats, although physically all the same, come with at least three different temperature setiings. Specifically,

21200AA072: 78C

21210AA030: 84C

21210AA080: 82C

Most aftermarket vendors cover all three applications with a single part, a 78C thermostat.

PS: this is incorrect, read on.

Edited by avk

Just noticed that OE new-gen. thermostats, although physically all the same, come with at least three different temperature setiings. Specifically,

21200AA072: 78C

21210AA030: 84C

21210AA080: 82C

Most aftermarket vendors cover all three applications with a single part, a 78C thermostat.

dunno if these links will work, I've had trouble with that before at opposedforces but, here goes;

-072 (78*C usage) - http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/21200AA072/

(removed - thanx avk)

-030 (84*C) - http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/21210AA030/

-080 (82*C) - http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/21210AA080/

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Is there a breakdown on year/model usage?

I only have a general idea. it's best to check the temperature stamped on the factory unit. In a few words, AA072 is the "good old" for EJ22/EJ18/EG33 and earlier EJ25. All 6-cyl. EZ engines use AA080. On newer EJ25, both AA030 and AA080 can be found (source: opposedforces). I'm not quite sure if that was a year-to-year change, or a difference between turbo and non-turbo models.

Edited by avk

Thanks. I tried to find about about the -AA170 version, and it appears to be the -AA080 without the gasket. This can be found only if you choose Euro applications,

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/en_b12/type_21/cooling_system/water_pump/

You can also see there that early on, they changed the specification from 84C to 82C for the 6-cyl engine. By the time it became available in the US, it was 82C only.

PS that info seems inconsistent because according to it, 21200AA072 is 21210AA030 sans the gasket. I don't think that's correct, need to double-check.

The photo which led me to believe -AA030 was a 84C thermostat found here: http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/429470/car/344057/2093820/parts.aspx

Edited by avk