Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Re-sealing power steering pumps?

While I have the intake off to replace a leaking intake gasket, I noticed that 90% of the mess on the top of the engine probably came from the power steering pump. Since that's the only oil I have to top off regularly, that's probably where it came from. :banghead:

Anyone take one of these apart to reseal it? Is it possible, or is the only option a new/rebuilt pump? The lack of easily find-able seal kits kinda points me towards replacing the pump :rolleyes:

Edit: looking at pictures online, it looks like the reservoir comes off pretty easily, and that may be where most of the mess is coming from.

Edited by hooziewhatsit

Thanks GD. Found this thread with a part number while doing a google search :rolleyes:

Power steering pump repair kit Subaru # 34419AA150 list $35

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117494#post970279

I've also found a reference to 6202-2RS used on the earlier Legacy pumps. I guess I'll compare that one at Napa to the one in the pump and see if they're the same.

:drunk:

And about the reservoir, yeah, it's really easy. Just undo the two hoses, and take out the two bolts and voila, resevoir is off. you can try putting some sealant around it if that's where your leak is. Or maybe the bolts are just loose:brow: haha good luck.