Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some of these later models had only the in-tank filter. I have some semi-oldish info from endwrench let me see where it went...mm not sure where it is, just found this image. The one on the left was the classic underhood filter. The one on the right was one of the early in-tank style filters.

subaru-fuel-filters.jpg

I assume since it is in the tank it is non-replaceable? Or is this still a maintenance item under the back seat or something? There are no manuals, for regular folks for this car yet. At least not that I can find. Does the fuel filter not get plugged up any more? How could that be if it is doing its job? Danged new-fangled machinery!:confused:

As to the PCV, I know it has to be there, it just isn't where my old one was. I was just looking around while trying to find the fuel filter. I didn't look very long.

Yeah the cut off for an external filter was 2004/2005. It's now in tank and I have yet to see a bad filter. Heck I haven't even seen a bad pump in one of these newer cars....

But on the bright side is they are very easy to remove and install. There should be a access plate under the floor behind the rear seat, which after removal of that, the couple fuel lines and electrical connector, it'll unbolt and come right out.

I appreciate the info everyone. I'm just still curious as to why fuel filters used to Ned to be replaced, but now apparently do not. I learned to replace them years ago when our Nissan pickup nearly stopped running in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico one night. It was so plugged that it would slow down to a crawl up every hill. Changed the filter, and off we went.

You would think that if fuel needs to be filtered, then a filter would eventually plug up and need to be replaced. Again, no problems now, this just seems like one of those things that should have remained easily user serviceable, and in an obvious location.

Hm...interesting...I looked through Endwrench article to see what their explanation was....and they said

Old, corroded in-ground tanks allowed water and other contaminants to seep in and mix with the gasoline. Even the transport trucks were not very carefully inspected. So, it was generally recommended that fuel filters be replaced every 10,000 miles.

Today, gasoline is kept much cleaner from the refining plant to the storage depot, and from the transport trucks to the service station tanks. Industry and government vigilance and routine inspection has now provided consumers with the cleanest fuel ever.

The details it gave were

You’ll find three basic types of fuel filters on Subaru vehicles. Models prior to 2004 had only the underhood canister-style fuel filter to supplement the mesh pickup screen on the fuel pump pick-up.

The 2004 and later WRX and STI models use an underhood filter and an additional filter built into the in-tank fuel pump, as do 2005 and later turbo models.

Non-turbo vehicles use a cartridge-type fiber filter incorporated into the fuel pump assembly.

All 2.5-liter DOHC turbocharged vehicles: 2005-2007

Forester XT, 2004-2007 STi and 2006-2007 WRX use a

special high-flow filter assembly that fits into the in-tank pump structure.

Starting in 2006, all Subaru models were equipped with an in-tank filter.

I have read before that the gas transport and storage regulations these days are extremely strict, to the point of putting a number of Mom and Pop gas stations out of business. Could be true judging by the flood of regulations on all walks of life these days. So, I guess we don't spend $20, or whatever it was, on a fuel filter once a year, but we spend two to three times as much for gas. What a deal.

Now to find that PCV valve.