Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's wrong? Toyota question

I'm looking at a '92 Corolla on CL for $550. The ad says:

"Known issue with this car is the so called "cold start" problem, popular among Toyota models made in the early 90's. It becomes a headache in cold winter mornings to start the car - normally it requires to turn the key 3-4 times, wait about 5-10 min, and it will start. Once warmed up, it starts easily and runs smoothly for rest of the day. I searched this issue online and some people suggested that it may needs to replace a part called "cold start switch/valve".

What's wrong with this car? Is it as simple as replacing a valve or should I steer clear?

sounds like an iac (idle air control valve). not opening when its cold to keep the engine rpms up to keep it running.

its a valve and its for cold weather starts and it goes bad on alot of vehicles....well not BAD but gets gummed up.....one can be had at a junkyard for cheap.... hope this helps!!!

-jarrid

• 4 weeks later...

92 should have a 4afe engine. This engine has a cold start injector that gives the engine a shot of fuel for starting. So far as I know this isn't a common problem, but it is the first place I would look. The 4afe is a pretty comon engine and fairly easy to come by.

Good luck