Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CLUTCH pedal just came off?! '87 GL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you pull the old sheath out, take a good look at how it's routed though the engine bay, and make sure you follow the same path.

Otherwise, once it's back together, the pedal will feel nasty until you tighten the bolt at the clutch fork. Then the pedal will come up nicely. Adjust until you have ~1/2" of free play in the pedal, then tighten the lock nut. You may need to adjust the hill holder as well (at least this is a good time to check it out and adjust as needed).

:drunk:

The spring is a tension spring ( gets longer when stretched, starts fully coil bound). It is about 1/2" diameter, maybe 2" of coil bound windings, plus hooks at each end, maybe 1" or so each.

It hooks into the hole in the top of the fork, and then is stretched forward to another spot on the engine block or maybe the bell housing? (I can't remember, it isn't right in front of me.)

It might be time to visit a wrecker to get this part. All above dimensions are eyeball estimates from memory, no guarantees of any kind.

The spring is a tension spring ( gets longer when stretched, starts fully coil bound). It is about 1/2" diameter, maybe 2" of coil bound windings, plus hooks at each end, maybe 1" or so each.

It hooks into the hole in the top of the fork, and then is stretched forward to another spot on the engine block or maybe the bell housing? (I can't remember, it isn't right in front of me.)

It might be time to visit a wrecker to get this part. All above dimensions are eyeball estimates from memory, no guarantees of any kind.

I think i saw it actually. is it connected to the other side of the fork? cause there was another cable running to a spring mechanism mounted along the left front wheel well i believe. kinda low.

If you ever need any help pm me Ive been there already I've done just about everything you can think of and I'd like to help you avoid some head aches. Also make sure you adjust your hill holder.loose is better than tight. I did a clutch and adjusted till it was tight..took me 4 hrs to figure out why my brakes were locked up.

If you ever need any help pm me Ive been there already I've done just about everything you can think of and I'd like to help you avoid some head aches. Also make sure you adjust your hill holder.loose is better than tight. I did a clutch and adjusted till it was tight..took me 4 hrs to figure out why my brakes were locked up.

alright. hopefully i get it right. man i am nervous. I still dont know what spring i should get then. can someone show me a better picture. im more of a hands on visual person.

Ok I got some video of the spring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5x9dXB-1s8

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Alright so i think i may understand now. Where the ************ did my spring go then? Obviously i had to have one to use my clutch right? But I never saw one when i looked down at the fork? What car was that you were showing me on? Because the fork didn't look all that similar to mine.

Either way thank you for going above and beyond and showing me a video! My new cable should be coming this week and I have a buddy helping me install it i think so hopefully all goes well.

But also my wagons been completely apart and there's missmatched/missing parts ( like my hillholder cable) so it may look different than yours but you get the idea.. Lol our cars look almost identical, well they will after I fix that silver fender and black hood lol

Edited by AKghandi

86GL-10 you are my hero. Taking your car apart in the dark with a flashlight to help a board member is above and beyond. Now a question, my Brat doesn't have that spring, but the hill holder is hooked up, and has a pretty substantial looking spring. Shouldn't that be enough?

Bill

86GL-10 you are my hero. Taking your car apart in the dark with a flashlight to help a board member is above and beyond. Now a question, my Brat doesn't have that spring, but the hill holder is hooked up, and has a pretty substantial looking spring. Shouldn't that be enough?

Bill

Yeah this is how i feel. It looks like i havent had one for awhile. Maybe i can drop one it. We will see

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid ************ing thmotorsports. not shipping out and giving me difficulties. Re ordered the part from a different place and should ship out tomorrow and hopefully get here by the end of the week. I just want to drive my baby again!

• 2 weeks later...

alright i finally have the part! Seems easy to put on. but how do i remove the old clutch cable rubber coating piece? Does it just lift up? i dont see a bolt or anything holding it on?

SNC18651-1.jpg

please respond asap, trying to get this done tonight! Thanks!

See on the left side of the clip where the little tab is kind of facing you? Put a straight slot screwdriver against it and tap the srewdriver and it will slide out from under the cable. It's a type of spring really. The two tabs slide in a groove and put tension against the cable and the bracket. Be carefull it doesn't go flying cause it may be hard to find. You can also grab that tang part with pliers and tap against them that way you have a grip on it. To put it back pull the cable towards you and slide the clip back on. You may neaad to tap it back in place.

Okay sorry about that. dumb me i went back out right after I posted that and figured it out. everything is back in place. Now to figure out how much play i need int he clutch pedal. Also where in the heck did i put my j hook for my battery!?

On pedal side about an inch and a half before the clutch disengages. On the engine end start with about an eigth inch "strong" of play with no helper spring. Can't recall if yours has a helper like the 70's but you should be ok. I got freaked out on mine too and started calling other old schoolers but I wasn't very far off , just impatient I guess. :)

i have actual slack in the pedal where it just wiggles. I think the clutch cable is not tight enough on the engine side. gonna play with it more tomorrow. and try to pick up a return spring. cause no where online sells them -.-

For a return spring just go to the hardware store and get a spring that's the right length. That's what I did.