Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '98 OBW 5mt with a '95 EJ22 swap, done about 5 yrs ago. My wife has been complaining of coolant odors lately, especially shortly after start up. I noticed the overflow bottle was a bit below the low mark... took a peek underneath (dark and raining out) and I think I see drops of coolant on the join between the head and block. Everything looks dry up top.

Do these ever develop the external HG leak like the later sohc EJ25s?

Nathan

I have a '98 OBW 5mt with a '95 EJ22 swap, done about 5 yrs ago. My wife has been complaining of coolant odors lately, especially shortly after start up. I noticed the overflow bottle was a bit below the low mark... took a peek underneath (dark and raining out) and I think I see drops of coolant on the join between the head and block. Everything looks dry up top.

Do these ever develop the external HG leak like the later sohc EJ25s?

Nathan

It's pretty rare that the ej22 develops a leak, but it can happen. I would get a few cans of the engine degreaser and thoroughly clean off the engine. Wait a day and then visually inspect it while the car is running. Also, top off the coolant and see if it still gets low. It may have just been due to the heater core being opened.

Where in Chicago are you located? I am from there and work at a garage there in the summers.

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm going to have to do some more inspection here. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage handy, so I'll monitor the coolant level closely and wait for a break in the weather or borrow a friend's garage. (Though I don't think anyone is going to volunteer the use of their garage for engine degreasing!) The water pump and all the hoses were replaced with OEM when I did the engine swap 5 years ago, so they _should_ be OK.

Nathan

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm going to have to do some more inspection here. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage handy, so I'll monitor the coolant level closely and wait for a break in the weather or borrow a friend's garage. (Though I don't think anyone is going to volunteer the use of their garage for engine degreasing!) The water pump and all the hoses were replaced with OEM when I did the engine swap 5 years ago, so they _should_ be OK.

Nathan

You can go over to the Marathon on the corner of Touhy and Western. They are open 24/7 and have mechanics there 24/7. They will let you rent one of the bays and use the lift for a very reasonable fee. I work there in the summers, doing the 9pm to 3am shift. At that time of night it's mostly brakes, oil changes, starters, alternators, and flat tires. Not much "major" work.