Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What happens when the Dog Drives...

Thought this might serve as a good reminder of the importance of making sure your emergency brake is nice and tight...

Otherwise your dog might kick it out of gear and take it for a joy ride.

Have since upgraded to a nice reliable EA82... With a really tight E-brake.

p1020155s.jpg

p1020151ht.jpg

p1020165n.jpg

But unless the car was in N, you have to press the brake pedal as well to move it out of Park!!! At least with the Euro automatics. I doubt the dog can clutch and shift. Good it did not set off the curtain airbag, that would have made it worse.

Well at least it will hopefully never happen again.

Edited by rverdoold

rverdoold...it's the usual manual cable and internal drums on the rear setup for the handbrake.

Americans just call it "Emergency Brake"...e-brake :rolleyes:

But I have seen cars where you press a button and I think in the US legacy there is a handle under the headlamp adjust dial where in euro we have a small pocket for cards and coins. So that basically also pulls the cable.

Kabarakh what dog breed is she? Big dog?

It was the lever style of brake.

The dog is a medium size dog, border collie, lab, and australian shepard mix.

I'd hate to explain that one to my insurance company.

They actually covered it... Total loss, but it went on the record as not my fault if you can believe it.

I'm surprised they didnt try to wiggle out of it as "unauthorized driver"

Technically the subaru hand brake is an emergency brake, as opposed to a parking brake.

A Parking brake uses the existing service brake hardware (shoes/pads what not) to hold the car. An emergency brake has it's own brake shoes/pads/springs etc. When hyd brakes first came out, they were not all that trusted so in the drum you would have service brake shoes and emergency brake shoes.

Over time the terms have become universally mixed up. Which reminds me I have to look at why mine doesnt work.

When hyd brakes first came out, they were not all that trusted so in the drum you would have service brake shoes and emergency brake shoes.

Not necessarily different shoes, just a different mechanism to operate the same set of shoes in the event that the hydraulic system failed. You won't find many early brake systems with dual sets of shoes, just a mechanical backup to operate the shoes. The most common problem was the failure of the single circuit master cylinder resulting in the loss of braking at all 4 wheels. With an emergency brake you had a shot at getting it stopped. With the improvement of braking systems the name just slowly changed to parking brake. Most of them still operate in the exact same fashion.

I said when they first came out, in the 1930's and 40's not now.

Rear disc brakes have little brake shoes in them as they are just cheaper to make then a caliper with a ratcheting method, though they are out there.

Yup, early hydraulic drums, not many had dual sets of shoes. Only a mechanical operating system as a backup to the failure prone hydraulics, but, they utilize the same shoes.

And yes, the small shoes inside the center hub of the disc is a slick setup.

Yup, early hydraulic drums, not many had dual sets of shoes. Only a mechanical operating system as a backup to the failure prone hydraulics, but, they utilize the same shoes.

And yes, the small shoes inside the center hub of the disc is a slick setup.

Slghtly off topic, i have a 1951general repair manual (looks like a really thick pocket bible). Only recently has there been truly new things that have not been in cars before, but it is interesting and sometimes amazing how they made things work (vac assisted clucth, self leveling using torsion bars). You look at it and wonder how did they make this stuff last, then realize if a car hit 60,000 miles in one peice it was lucky.

*EDIT: I don't know why or how this re-posted twice like that...

Nipper, you are correct. Most things old have become new again, as the design and execution of earlier vehicles are amazing. Torsion bar designs have been around forever, and various self leveling designs are not as new as many people think. The Acme thread jackshaft lift designs always intrigue me, and they are archaic. Most people don't realize that car phones were around pre-war, just obviously not the norm. The lack of longevity of early autos wasn't due to poor design or construction, just history itself. The interstate system hasn't been around very long, and earlier roads were absolute garbage. Early cars saw conditions far far worse than todays. Put many of todays cars in the same situation, and I would suspect they wouldn't last very long. A funny example of prior technology is the coil sprung trailing arm design. For altered suspensions the air bag, or coil spring with trailing arms and a panhard bar, or a complete 4 link is thought to be the tops, and high end technology. Look back in automotive history, and you will find that the trailing arm with panhard bar design has been around for a long time. Chevrolet used it on their pickups for awhile before deciding it was BETTER than what they needed, and moved away from it.... Interesting stuff.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

To me, 'handbrake' is a type of brake, whereas 'parking brake' and 'emergency brake' are functions of a braking system.

For example, the 'handbrake' is a great design for use in emergencies, as you can hold the button and modulate your braking force easily to control your stop. It also works as a parking brake, so both terms would seem appropriate.

The "modern" push-on push-off foot brakes however? I don't think of them as emergency brakes, only as parking brakes. Because in a true braking emergency, their "on/off" nature and the inability to modulate braking force could actually throw your car out of control rather than helping the situation! :banghead:

As for the 'why' question... well, my bet would be that the handbrake was replaced by a foot brake because modern hydraulic systems have proven themselves "reliable enough", and consumers would rather have the extra cup holder space. :popcorn:

Actually it is just up to the whim of the designer (boss). Though it has become more standard that if there is a foot brake it is in an automatic today and a pull up handle between the seats norm for a manual. I think (not sure) that the pull out handle from under the dash has gone the way of the doo-doo.

There was a time when the foot parking brake could be in a manual or auto, those made for fun hill starts.

You know, they make a pet cage for those cars that can keep the dog from getting into the drivers area.

There is not enough money in the world to make want an EA82 anything.

Next on my list of things to buy... although the dog seems to have learned her lesson lol, she stays out of the front now unless you pick her up and put her there (not that I do that... especially in the circumstances :brow:)

As far as the EA82 goes, it was $200 and I can easily work on it. A year ago I couldn't even change my oil, but I can't imagine that any other car would be as easy to learn the basics on as my '88 GL. Plus no matter what year make or model I'd rather have a Sooby then anything else :D

To give an example of my abilities, it wasn't until I read all these posts just now that I even understood all the braking differences... I just thought that there was the normal brakes and the "E-brake/parking brake."

All I know for sure is what I started the post with...

No matter what you call the thing make sure it's tight when you have an animal in the car!