Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 with EJ22 heads

jboymechanic

I may be buying a clean 1997 Outback with the beginnings of a head gasket problem. I have a scruffy 1996 Brighton with a strong running 2.2, I was wondering how to make one car from these two. I understand the quad cam 2.5s have dual exhaust port heads, but other than that can you really just put the 2.2 heads on the 2.5 short block and everything just bolts up and runs with no "check engine" light issues. I have to pass emissions where I live, so this is an important detail.

So let me get this straight.

1. Remove 2.5 intake, exhaust and heads

2. Install 2.2 heads. Use 2.2 timing setup (cam sprockets and everything)

3. Adapt 2.2 exhaust headers to rest of exhaust system

4. Re-install 2.5 intake?

5. What about all the wiring for censors? Are they all the same?

Is it really as simple as people say. No CEL on in the dash? 180 hp!?

So let me get this straight.

1. Remove 2.5 intake, exhaust and heads

2. Install 2.2 heads. Use 2.2 timing setup (cam sprockets and everything)

3. Adapt 2.2 exhaust headers to rest of exhaust system

4. Re-install 2.5 intake?

5. What about all the wiring for censors? Are they all the same?

Is it really as simple as people say. No CEL on in the dash? 180 hp!?

4) you use the 2.2 intake. 2.5 intake won't bolt up.

5) Because you are using a similar year range donor 2.2, in your case it should be plug and play. If your 2.2 does not have an EGR, you will get a code for that, but otherwise no issues and drives great.

If you were using an OBD-I engine (90-94), you would use the 2.2 intake, but you would remove the 2.5 (engine side) wiring and throttle body , adn transfer the wiring harness, and Throttle body from the 2.5 onto the 2.2 intake.

If you get a 95 auto (has EGR) it simply drop right in and is non-interference.

So you can put a timing belt on it while it's out, other mauntanance, or simple just install in since a broken TB won't kill the engine.

If you get a 96 or up 2.2 you'll need it's matching ypipe.

Do some searching here. Very common swap. Several folks here have done this many times (including me). I was hesitant the first time. But really it is very easy. The folks here are very helpful.

So rather than tear apart my 2.2, the best thing to do would get a 1995 2.2 dual port heads and 2.2 intake with EGR.

You don't need to get anything else.

Drop the 2.2 and it's matching y-pipe right in.

Are you worried about the EGR CEL? it has no effect on how the car drives. Heck, have you even looked at the 2.2, if it's in a automatic car....it could have an EGR. They don't have Emmisions in your part of Wisconsin do they? I thought that was only in the bigger cities like Milwaukee, Madison, etc...?

Y-pipe is a bolt on affair.

No need to swap any heads, intakes, anything.

Just drop in the 2.2 and the y-pipe. DONE

Edited by Gloyale

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I sold the 1996 Brighton, but now I have a 1996 Legacy L. I have built and swapped in a 2.5 frankenmotor, runs strong and has been for 12,000 miles. So I never bought an Outback but I do have my frankenmotor.

what did you have to use to build the frankenmotor?

found some dual port ej22 heads that i could use with my dohc ej25?

would i need the intake for the ej22 heads?

being that the ej22 heads are dual port would i need the y-pipe considering?

hoping to be just a matter of changing heads and head gaskets and having something with a little less worry over the way it is now.

use the dual port heads, and keep your original intake. The only issue will be if your car has an egr or not, and if the heads have the egr or not. There will be no mechanical issue other than a CEL, and it would only matter if your location requires emission testing.

the egr is typically on ej25d with automatic trans, and the 2.2 heads from a 95 automatic will have the egr.

i have a 98 forester 5MT and found a set of dualport heads nots sure on the year.

just trying to see what all i would need to attempt it. would love for it to be just straight on forward with ej22 heads and the rest stay the same but i'm pretty sure that i would have to use the ej22 timing?

you will be using the ej22 timing belt

so the intake and ecu would all stay ej25 but all the timing components would be ej22.

so i would basically buy a gates ej22 timing belt kit with water pump. use a subaru water pump gasket and subaru thermostat and be good to go? also using the ej25 head gaskets i'm assuming.

not really looking for power or anything just something a little more reliable over the ej25 setup.