Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I Bought a GL-10 That's Been Sitting for 4-5 Years. Help?

People need to quit hating on the ea82 (although it can be troublesome, due to neglect more than design)

And people need to quit telling new folks on this forum that they are wasting their resources.

It is backwards that the people telling you to stay out of a subaru are the die hard enthusiasts themselves. People didnt come here to be told to go home. this is my 2 cents (which is really worth 6 cents in copper).

You got the one and only source on the internet for these cars being the one that tells the needy folks to go f* themselves, essentially. This especially goes for the semi-new folk (compared t the 10 yr+ members) jumping on the GD (who really hates the ea82t, his opinion) bandwagon, especially those who never had an ea82t.

Banter is one thing but post hijacking is another.

It's annoying to read and could leave a bad impression of this forum (because it is NOT nasioc)

Edited by MilesFox

This especially goes for the semi-new folk (compared t the 10 yr+ members) jumping on the GD (who really hates the ea82t, his opinion) bandwagon, especially those who never had an ea82t.

Actually I agree with you to some extent. I choose to hate the EA82's and especially the turbo's because I've worked on tons of them and I know how much easier the EA81's and EJ22's are to work on. Every time I work on one it takes me twice as long to do the same jobs that are simple on EJ's and not even required on EA81's. But I HAVE worked on them and I know their flaws. People that haven't worked on the EA82(T) and/or have nothing to compare it to because that's *all* they have worked on - shouldn't be making qualitative statements and comparisons. They don't have all the data.

The EA82 (and even the turbo) can be a reliable engine - but it takes a lot of effort to bring back an old turbo to a level where it can be safely driven even in stock form. When I got my '91 SS (EJ22 turbo) I marched right down to the dealer and said "give me every hose listed - coolant, oil, etc" and I replaced them along with plugs and wires, radiator (and heater core), along with repairing my water tank nipples, and other things along the way. Now I can safely drive it without fear of cooling system failure. It is my opinion that this was absolutely neccesary and the condition of the hoses I pulled out confirmed that it was. And the EJ22T compared to the EA82T is like comparing a jet fighter to a paper airplane.

The biggest reasons I hate the EA82T is that it is difficult and time consuming to work on, they have troublesome timing belts and lubrication systems, poor cooling systems without enough overhead designed in, and they are stupendously complicated for the measly 115 HP they make compared to the EJ22 non turbo which makes 20 more HP and is simple and ultra-reliable. No brainer decision IMO. Especially when first generation Legacy's can be had for the same $200 if you look around hard enough.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

People need to quit hating on the ea82 (although it can be troublesome, due to neglect more than design)

And people need to quit telling new folks on this forum that they are wasting their resources.

It is backwards that the people telling you to stay out of a subaru are the die hard enthusiasts themselves. People didnt come here to be told to go home. this is my 2 cents (which is really worth 6 cents in copper).

You got the one and only source on the internet for these cars being the one that tells the needy folks to go f* themselves, essentially. This especially goes for the semi-new folk (compared t the 10 yr+ members) jumping on the GD (who really hates the ea82t, his opinion) bandwagon, especially those who never had an ea82t.

Banter is one thing but post hijacking is another.

It's annoying to read and could leave a bad impression of this forum (because it is NOT nasioc)

It's all good. I try to take everything the best I can. I have like what? 11 posts now? I can understand a bit of intolerance towards new members, because that's the way it is on other forums, video games, etc. I didn't take anything personal.

But thank you, Miles. I appreciate your listening, tolerance, and two cents worth. :)

I actually quite like my pair of non turbo MPFI ea82s.

I want to trade the one off in my 86 for something with more power stock...

but the 88 I intend to keep as is. it's a good little motor for my needs and since a need to go further than valve covers or timing belts on either has yet to come up....

the turbo... is no worse really than any turbo car of similar vintage.

way better off to workon and own than the TSi I had.... yikes... mitsubishi: wake up and fix UR car!

the XT turbos I saw in johnsonville were on Ebay. so I have no idea what part of town.

guy had a Baja, an STI and about half a dozen XTs... :headbang:

If you need any help just pm me I live in kingsport tn and if I'm not working I'll always help out other soob guys there are not many of us here in east tn

Was going to say as well I live just over the mountain in Asheville and I have had a bit of experience with my EA82 as well...not a turbo but I might be able to give you some insights...especially if you go through any over heating issues ;).

Was going to say as well I live just over the mountain in Asheville and I have had a bit of experience with my EA82 as well...not a turbo but I might be able to give you some insights...especially if you go through any over heating issues ;).

Believe it or not, I lived near Boone for most of my life. I have a lot of family in Asheville. I might hold you to that offer :cool:

I think you are going to like the car a lot. Especially if you haven't owned a Soob before. I had a 88' GL-10 that I purchased new and also had another exact same one we purchased later for my wife to drive. They were even the same color, Midnight Blue.

The timing belts are supposed to be changed every 60k miles so you should have low mileage on a fairly new set if the maintenance was correctly done on them. If you work on top of the engine area be very careful with some small vacuum line switches for the emissions system. The ends tied to the hose are very fragile and will break easily if the wrong pressure is applied to them.

I agree with general disorder agreeing with my point. He is definitely entitled to his opinion.

I have a soft spot for an ea82t myself. I just got into a franken-built xt turbo, and i am going to give the old ea82 one last run for it's money getting it tuned right, for the sake of challenge. As i am already sitting on parts and it wont cost me anything to do this. This car came to me as an incomplete project with many new parts and the rest of the parts it will need as one package.

If it goes bust, i would look to swap out with ej22t or ej20g. But my preference is to get the ea82t to run properly and drive it as it would be, since the cost of a swap would be beyond my budget, and i don't want to keep a car around with no engine/on jackstands.