Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!!! 81 brat

i know alot of people on here bash the ea82s but a cheap loyale would serve you well and theres still parts around you just have to look and you can get a 2 inch lift for them for around $120 i know what its like to be broke and working on a car especially, in the cold. it sucks.

Well ive been getting up at 6 in the morning for the past three days working on my car replacing the axle praying that was it and my back is hurting from being bent over and kneeling for the past three days like that and for it to be the tranny it was a big let down...and working in the cold is no fun specaily with all the tools ice cold and not having any insulated work gloves..and right now i'm just looking for a cheap running car off of craigslist found this on there looks good http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/2798659787.html

Minus the fact it needs a carb it well be like my brat just bigger and no 4wd

On monday i well know if i can get the tranny or not so if you guys know anybody looking for a brat let me know i well be selling it for $1000 no less i have two bins of this and that three sets of tires the canopy high roll bar with bull bar some fog/offroad lights both the front axles where replaced within 5,000 miles of eachother with new bearings up front oil changed about 1,000 miles ago runs good choke needs fine tuning starts up every time..but with fine tuning of the choke it well start up quicker it usally takes a few turns for it to start up when it's really cold but i need the cash asap so let people know that there might be a brat on the market

A gracious reasonable priced offer for a 4 sp. is on the table if one comes up per another board member (local to you). There are a few 4speeds on the parts section if still available so very doable with not much out of pocket cost.

I understand your frustration, disappointment and anxiety over cost.

Regardless of what you choose we are behind you 100%....

good luck...

update... Yes, that is why I took the time to do a warm-fuzzy reply, since edited. You do sound more mature than others your age as to tackle what you do, and your concern showed that. Just tried to toss you something to chew on...

Edited by Indrid cold

Don't be to quick to dismiss things moving around.

You have a "swapped trans & controls" in there, things can and do move after time. And what the PO did may have worked, up to the time you wrenched on it.

A tranny mount could have failed from you moving the trans around abit doing the axle(s). An "old mount" could very well do that.

That would allow the trans to shift a bit, throwing the shifter out of whack.

Just trying to give you some ideas to check is all.

Can't see the trans failing that quickly, has to something related to recent work.

Not saying "you caused it", just saying to take a good look at everything.

Don't be to quick to dismiss things moving around.

You have a "swapped trans & controls" in there, things can and do move after time. And what the PO did may have worked, up to the time you wrenched on it.

A tranny mount could have failed from you moving the trans around abit doing the axle(s). An "old mount" could very well do that.

That would allow the trans to shift a bit, throwing the shifter out of whack.

Just trying to give you some ideas to check is all.

Can't see the trans failing that quickly, has to something related to recent work.

Not saying "you caused it", just saying to take a good look at everything.

We did tried everything to make sure it was fully engaging and it still wont budge in 2wd and in 4wd all the power is going to the rear wheels i found that out when i was driving over some blocks and the rear wheels kept slipping over them and the front wheels had no power so something is wrong inside the tranny..But i thankyou guys for all the ideas that it could be i really dont wanna see her go but i just dont have a steady income to keep her running

:(

sorry for this wordy response and you can tell me to mind my own business.. your call.

A gracious reasonable priced offer for a 4 sp. is on the table if one comes up per another board member (local to you). There are a few 4speeds on the parts section if still available so very doable with not much out of pocket cost. As in my post... you would sell this Brat for another rig that will what?... break down. It's your call but I am so sold on these older roo's.. I am way subjective to think otherwise as reasons earlier posted. Once you learn them they just go and go... but you are still trying to get the gremlins out.. learning curves suck and that's what your in.

I understand your frustration, disappointment and anxiety over potential cost overruns. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions... costly, own the decision regardless, do not let it own you even if it means bearing an extra burden for awhile. Smile even if it is a total bomb, You will get through this...

As for you owing the parents.... it's almost spring time, go door to door and put a flyer on the area homes for yard cleaning, raking, dog poop clean up... Deliver papers before school, local business need a weekend clean up person?

Anything within walking distance, relatives that you can do something for, ask if you can do something that you could gain some pocket money... be creative and willing to do the dirtiest job.. with a smile and eagerness even if grandma hands you a quarter after 4 hours of cleaning her yard.

Regardless of what you choose we are behind you 100%....

good luck... welcome to life. :clap:

The life roller coaster is nothing new to me i have to say im a lot more mature them most of my generation ive seen a lot of things done a lot of things and made many mistakes...if we didnt have such a high demand for a third vehicle i would keep it but we need a third car asap and we have very little cash to spare so on monday if i can get that tranny for free i well most likely be able to keep her but other wise we well have to sell her..and i would love to do yard work just anytime i mow the lawn or what not i have a very bad allergic reaction and have to go to the E.R. It's not fun not being able to breath

Trust me,,,, I hear you!!!!

Got a few here that I've been, wrenching on, and or, just letting sit, due to not having money, parts, time. Choose order yourself.

Still, if it the trans, another one would be cheaper than buying that El Camino. (Would lke to have one of those myself, owned a few in the past.)

Not sure in your area, but around these parts, an El Camino was considered a "Sports Car". Meaning higher insurance rates, regardless.

So that's something else to consider.

Trust me,,,, I hear you!!!!

Got a few here that I've been, wrenching on, and or, just letting sit, due to not having money, parts, time. Choose order yourself.

Still, if it the trans, another one would be cheaper than buying that El Camino. (Would lke to have one of those myself, owned a few in the past.)

Not sure in your area, but around these parts, an El Camino was considered a "Sports Car". Meaning higher insurance rates, regardless.

So that's something else to consider.

It's just one of the better looking cars that's for 1,000 or under theres a toyota and a couple fords a few dodges ect. ..and that el camino was something my mom pointed out to me and both my step dad and step grandpa said it was a good buy but we are still looking..plus to do the tranny we would have to buy/borrow specail tools cuz im sure we cant swap out the tranny with just wrenches and screwdrivers plus a hammer and my step dad doesnt have a lot of time to work on stuff other then work that gets him money so we are just playing it by ear and seeing how things well go

I hate to be the one to say it but you are asking more than it's worth. Even in good running order the first-gen Brat's are difficult to sell and usually are in the $1500 range. With a borked tranny, some body damage, and not in the best cosmetic condition.... put it this way - I SELL first gen legacy's for that AFTER I've gone through them and done timing belt/WP and checked them out fully. With a bad tranny I will buy them for little more than scrap value. Now a Brat may be worth a bit more than that because it's intrinsic collectible value but you are in the land of plentiful Subaru's.....

$750 would be a much more reasonable (firm) asking price. Start at $1000 and come down. You won't get any real interst till you get below $1k... not on the board anyway. But just about anyone that would be interested in one knows more or less what they are worth.

Good luck though :drunk:

GD

How long do you think the tranny well last when you stick in 4wd with only the rear wheels getting power i got a guy who lives in beaver creek who wants to buy it think id handle that?

No telling really. Could go 10,000 miles - could go 3. With the front diff totally gone like that it really depends on where the metal is at and what it decides to jam itself into. Could be a sudden and violent seizure. I would tell anyone interested in buying that they drive it ANY distance at their own risk.

GD

No telling really. Could go 10,000 miles - could go 3. With the front diff totally gone like that it really depends on where the metal is at and what it decides to jam itself into. Could be a sudden and violent seizure. I would tell anyone interested in buying that they drive it ANY distance at their own risk.

GD

Thats what ive been saying is i dont wanna do a test drive the best i can do is back it up and then go forwards to show it drives and i tell them it PROBABLY well make it to where you are going just depends on how you drive so im telling them if they are gonna try and drive it home take it easy had one guy look at it and said no cuz he didnt wanna risk it and i got another guy thats gonna try and come down in the next couple of days to look at it