Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing FWD Fuse Improve Gas Mileage?

I have a 99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 5 Speed Tranny with 195K miles on it. Started a different job and am traveling about 80 miles a day.

Anyhow, I've done different things to improve mileage and so far, I've got some improvement but I was browsing the forum over the weekend and there was a somewhat related discussion that got me to thinking so.............................

Tell me if removing the FWD fuse may improve my gas mileage and/or if there are problems that can pop up doing this?

Thanks,

UMT

Lol

Mods. please sticky this topic

I'm not joking!

I read on another thread that a 5 speed manual doesn't have a FWD, but I followed the Owners Manual and there was a fuse there.

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question but I would like to know about it.

Thanks,

UMT

And just for the record, you are still dragging around all that drive gear in back of the car even if you could, so no gain. Want 2wd and gas mileage, I hear Honda has those :)

I hear you about the drive gear because that was my first thought, but I thought I would ask the question.

Honda? Been there, done that. I'm on my 2nd Subby and won't drive anything else.

Hope I didn't irritate everyone by not phrasing the original question better.

Thanks,

UMT

You don't say if it's automagic or manual, but in 99 a 5 speed is going to be a manual transmission which has no electronic controls, so no amount of FWD fuses are going to make a difference.

Thing is, if it has the fuse holder, that car originally came with a 4 speed automagic.

So I simply have to ask, which transmission do you have? Automatic or manual?

You don't say if it's automagic or manual, but in 99 a 5 speed is going to be a manual transmission which has no electronic controls, so no amount of FWD fuses are going to make a difference.

Thing is, if it has the fuse holder, that car originally came with a 4 speed automagic.

So I simply have to ask, which transmission do you have? Automatic or manual?

It's a manual transmission.....

and finally, with the fuse IN you have FWD only. removing the fuse gives you AWD. and you should not drive with the ''fuse in'' any more than you have to. the car was designed to be AWD.

Interesting. I have to double check which fuse I pulled but I was following the diagram in the owners manual not thinking that the owners manual probably applies mostly to automatic transmissions.

The FWD fuse on the MT does not do anything. Your year might have had the 4eat phase II (if it were an auto trans), where they moved the fuse into the main fuse box under the hood (instead of a separate holder by the strut) then it probably has the spot for the FWD fuse but to no function.

Even on the auto trans, putting in the FWD fuse makes no discernible difference in fuel economy, because all the friction and windage losses are still there (axles turning, rear differential turning, propeller shaft turning).

Well it is a sticky situation. There was a recent post on another board about K&N air filters, and someone was saying they knew it was good because their RPM's at 55mph dropped a few hundred rpm's. It's possible they had a newer soob with the CVT I suppose....

I'm thinking it's the 18" rimz. :lol: