Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Had an older actron that served me for years. It could only read a code, and clear it. I am looking for thoughts on a new one. Do anybody have any advice as to which scanner to buy. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like a little more capability. Maybe just a cord and software to use with my Iphone??

Check out the Bluedriver app. You buy a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the car, synch it with the iPhone and you can check DTCs and some basic parameters while the engine is running. There is also much more capability, but it costs an extra $50 or $60 I think. The basic functions work well though, and diagnostic info can be viewed on the phone, then saved and emailed.

• 1 year later...

Sorry guys, I can not start a new topic because I'm new to the forum, so i'll ask this on the closest subject topic I could find.

I have a question about my grandpa's old 1996 legacy, chassis code starts with JF1BD4.

I am trying to decipher what kind of obd scan tool I can buy for this car, preferably some with a USB interface.

Under the steering wheel, it has both Subaru 9 pin proprietary connector, and an old OBDv1 14 pin connector.

I was wondering if the generic ELM327 USB scan cables (easily found online for sale under $50) would read something from this car's ECU.

Obviously I'm willing to buy or build myself a custom adapter from this car's connector to the standard 16 pin OBD-2 connector (SAE J1962).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

[EDIT:] (Here is a picture for the connectors, to help you guys identify it's version.)

post-48320-0-28524200-1371580529_thumb.jpg

I already know that the grey connector is the standard 14-pin OBD-1.

The yellow is the proprietary Subaru 9-pin diagnostics connector for old subarus.

The 2 green and 2 black act as a stand-alone diagnostic interface: you connect the black ones and turn on the key, check engine lights blinks in patterns to tell you the car's memorized fault codes. Connect the green ones and you have to drive the car to read fault codes with the check engine blinking light.

Edited by Pierobon

Welcome to the USMB! I don't know how the new account activation works since the forum software upgrade, but hopefully you'll be able to post soon.

If its a US market car, look on the left side lower dash panel. There is a small flip down door with an OBD2 plug behind it. Any OBD 2 scanner will plug in and work with it.

You can use the Elm327 USB or Bluetooth version, either should work just fine.

There are some functions you can access through the Subaru SSM plug with the proper software, ABS and TCU diagnostics, but most ECU diagnostic can be done through the ODB 2 plug.

Do some searching on google, there are several websites with good documentation of how to build adapters for use with Subaru SSM.

(...), chassis code starts with JF1BD4.

Oh sorry, I added the chassis info but forgot to tell what it means...

J = Made in Japan

F = Factory is Fuji Heavy Industries

1 = Passenger Vehicle

B = Legacy

D = Sedan

4 = Refers to the engine and drivetrain.

I guess it's not USA market car since it was made in japan...

The car was bought brand new and still lives in Brasil.

There are NO flip doors, neither up or down or sideways... there is just the fuse box, as you can see in the new picture I uploaded.

post-48320-0-92450600-1371585502_thumb.jpg

The first picture I sent in the first post is from the under-right side of the steering wheel/column, you can see the air conditioner foot vents coming out of the centre console.

I just edited the previous post to add some info to the picture.

Looks that way, If its a 96 and doesn't have an OBD2 plug it isn't a US market car. OBD2 was mandated for 1996 model year and most 1995 models have it as well.

There is a fair amount of support for the SSM1 (Subaru Select Monitor 1) that was used in the Obd1 cars. Some years ago people figured out how to interface with that using the Yellow SSM plug, and you can do all sorts of things with the right software. Even reflashes for better fuel/timing/spark mapping.

This site has info about what's needed to connect a laptop to the car via the SSM plug: http://www.4bc.org/vanagon/engine.html

There are several others out there as well.

Make sure any new scanner you buy can do all of these:

1.  Read multiple codes.

2.  Clear off the codes.

3.  Tell you when the car is Emissions Ready for state inspections......this really comes in handy if you battle the random PO420 code.

My scanner is the:   Innova Equus 3100.  I think it cost me $80 at Auto Zone.    And I love it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INNOVA-Equus-3100-CanOBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-/140998687534?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item20d42d3b2e&vxp=mtr

I would have to say probably not since its uncertain if your vehicle is OBD2 compliant. The ELM327 works only with OBD2 protocols as far as I understand, and none of those protocols will translate directly with Subaru SSM or OBD1.

Look into the various SSM programs that are out there. Do some searching on google and you'll find plenty of info. SSM is far more versatile than OBD1 or OBD2, because it interfaces with every control unit in the car, not just the ECU.

• 2 years later...