Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to Find an EJ22 Donor in Colorado?

Dj7291993

So, I've been searching craigslist, but being as this is Colorado, and it's February, there aren't a whole lot of people looking to part with their Subaru's (well, none with a good engine) for a good price. They may be common here, but there is good reason. So, where are some good places to find EJ donors? Where would you look for wrecked cars? What are some good engine checks I can do in the case of the car being in poor shape? Anything else I should know, or any tips you wish to share?

I'm thinking craigslist isn't the way to go right now, as there's ones with blown head-gaskets for $1000+.

CAP Colorado Auto Parts. Up in Denver

It is a self serve junkyard, you go there, find the lowest miles subaru and pull it.

They usually have about 15-25 subarus on any given day to choose from

they crush over 40 subaru a week

http://coloradoautoandparts.com/serviceyard.html

if you go there, let me know i got a few minor parts requests off the 06 outback they have listed, and if they have a ea81 ...

Edited by bheinen74

I've got a pull and pay down here with legacy's, but I'd rather not have to do it in a yard. I was hoping for a full donor. I was thinking the same thing, about the wrecks, but they don't always make it to craigslist. Are there other good places to get full salvage cars?

The local Pull 'n Pay yards will sell entire cars. If you can catch them quick enough you may even be able to drive one out of the yard before it goes up on welded hubcaps.

This link is the one in Aurora, but you can also pull up the one in Denver, and one in the Springs. http://www.upullandpay.com/aurora/home

There is a 'notifiy me' button where you can request to be notified if a particular car comes in.

there are companies that flip salvage cars from auction, but prices won't be favorable. there's a website that auctions/sells wrecked cars...forget what it is but there are always subarus on it.

post in the Parts Wanted forum here and other forums as well.

The fees at the salvage auctions are gettin gout of hand from all the foreighners bidding online, having them towed to containers, and shipping them to various countries. I swear I've seen broken cars go for more than they are worth fixed at the auctions before all the fees.

Cruise CL.

I used to run an add in a weekly free newspaper kinda thing (similar to a Pennysaver if you have those in your area) to look for cars to buy and fix or part. The add certainly wasn't free but folks picked up the weekly paper at the supermarket and stuff.

Cheapest way is to find a whole donor, preferably for scrap price. YOu get all the harness and intake, so what if the engine is bad, since you can get more than one type of engine to use with this setup. Doing HG on the engine is no biggie for the overall cost of investment and you do the labor.

Or you can source everything from a partout or for sale from already pulled parts for the purpose. Ideally you want all the parts from the same car or at the same time if you can get them all at once one way or another.

Thanks jeffast, I emailed him about it. The post is a bit old, though.

@Miles, fixing the engine isn't a huge deal, I just don't want to pay $1k for one with a bad engine when that's all I need.

Lol, also, to buy a whole car from the U Pull And Pay here starts at $1000, and goes up depending on what is still there. I'm hoping the swap stuff will work out, 'cause Longmont is only about 2.5 hours away, and $500 is a LOT less than what I've been seeing for a good engined donor.

I think the Pull 'n Pay in Aurora quoted me $1100, sounds about right. You could part out the rest later if you have storage space, otherwise it's only $100 bucks or so ($150 maybe) for a motor you can rebuild. That's the cheapest route if you have the time and space.

Just for reference, UPAP charges $200 + $25 core, not including the alt or power steering... or the harness, or the ECU. Phil (the guy in Longmont) has the complete engine, harness, and ECU out of a '94 Legacy for $500, and the only thing it needs is valve cover seals. He just replaced the water pump and timing belt before he pulled it. It's at 200k on miles, but he says it was running strong when he pulled it, car was just falling apart. That's the route I'm gonna go. It's only about 2.5 hours away, and he said he's meet me part way for a few extra bucks.

I'm hoping to get the adapter plate and flywheel with my tax return. After that, it should just be the fuel pump, fans, radiator hoses, and some sort of exhaust, right?

After that, it should just be the fuel pump, fans, radiator hoses, and some sort of exhaust, right?

*Some* sort of exhaust would be nice ;). Any chance the one from the donor car is any good? That would be easiest, the EA82 manifolds won't fit and the cutting and welding just to get a too small diameter pipe...what a mess. Get the 2.2 manifold and cut/route/weld the pipe just in one or two spots, and weld the under-body hangers into the EA82 position; way easier. No idea what an exhaust pipe at PnP will run, but I can guarantee it won't have a cat.

Next step: build thread ;)

*Some* sort of exhaust would be nice ;). Any chance the one from the donor car is any good?

Umm, it's not a donor car, and he doesn't have the exhaust. I was thinking I'd have to go the the JY to get the part to bolt to the engine off... and figure out the rest from there, based on how loud it is (no emissions tests in El Paso County for gas engines). Right now, my EA82 has no muffler, well, really, it has about a foot of pipe behind the cat, and there is a leak in the drivers side of the y-pipe, and I haven't been pulled over by the CSPD (city), EPSD (county), or CSP (state). So, as long as I can keep it a bit under that. Lol, then again, I was going about nine over when I saw a deputy the other day, I hit the brakes, but I know he could've clocked me. He looked up at my car, then went back to his computer. :grin:

Next step: build thread ;)

Yup! So excited. How long should I expect this to take, noting that I will have access to a lift, hoist, and impact wrench? I'm gonna have to fit this in with 3 jobs, and my last semester at college. :rolleyes: