Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm taking the plunge and building a set of UEL headers to fit my single port heads this weekend. Plans for this set are to build a jig using the stock header, and use the stock flanges. Assuming the design is easy enough to replicate and cost efficient to build, I plan on sourcing someone to cut new flanges and building these as a bolt on application for those of us "stuck" with the single port heads.

I'll be using 2" OD mild steel tubing, mandrel bent joints, and butt welding the seams.

Just testing the waters to see if anyone would be interested in a set of these. I'm not promising anything magical or a 5-10hp gain (not to say that there won't be a gain in larger tubing and a freer flowing design) but you will definitely achieve some boxer rumble.

I'll post some pictures up here this weekend after I get the thing built, and hopefully an exhaust clip if I have time to build my axle back as well.

It's been done (about 25 were made) and it's going to be done again. Already have the flanges water jet cut and just waiting on a chance to copy one of the UEL headers that's on a board member's car near here.

GD

Oh man, I guess that means I'm not allowed to build any. Damn.

FYI, they're a different design (of my own) than the supers header that you plan to copy, but thanks for implying that I need not bother with another offering in a vacant market.

Edited by cal_look_zero

well copy and improve on the existing headers design. i think the uel header could be improved. also doing a bone stock design as well along with simple adapters =)

where were you going to get your mandrel bends? is it from my work?

I bought my initial materials online. Shoot me a message with some info to contact you or your work though.

Oh man, I guess that means I'm not allowed to build any. Damn.

I wasn't implying that you shouldn't build one. I'm just letting you know that we are going to be producing them in case you would rather buy than build. I appoligize if it sounded like I was trying to dissuade you from building them.

However - unless your price is crazy cheap.... sube101 builds AMAZING products - he is a professional exhaust manufacturer - not an exhaust shop. His TIG welds look like a machine did them and he has access to bending and cutting equipment that makes people like us drool. He mandrel bends 2" tube on a 3" R and his company has their own water jet production setup, etc. His headers have been featured in magazines.

He doesn't have a firm price yet but it will be less than the last group-buy on RS25.

GD

I wasn't implying that you shouldn't build one. I'm just letting you know that we are going to be producing them in case you would rather buy than build. I appoligize if it sounded like I was trying to dissuade you from building them.

However - unless your price is crazy cheap.... sube101 builds AMAZING products - he is a professional exhaust manufacturer - not an exhaust shop. His TIG welds look like a machine did them and he has access to bending and cutting equipment that makes people like us drool. He mandrel bends 2" tube on a 3" R and his company has their own water jet production setup, etc. His headers have been featured in magazines.

He doesn't have a firm price yet but it will be less than the last group-buy on RS25.

GD

Fair enough, been having a bunch of people with useless input about "Why you build those and not swap in JDM turbo engine instead!?!?", so I may be a little defensive.

But yes, I'm aware of what kind of talent and pricing needs to go into a header to be competitive in the market.

Why would you build those and not swap in a JDM Turbo instead?

:lol: Some people man.

Is the stock header supposed to be equal or un-equal? I'd be happy either way. I've kinda grown fond of the farm tractor sound my 96 makes with the stock setup. :-p

I've been trying to find a stock header to ship to Sube101 to make a model from, but I haven't found one whole. Found two in the junkyard a few weeks ago, but they had both been cut before the flange for the cat.

Technically, a true equal length header designed for optimal back pressure and flow, is the only real way to get noticeable performance out of a header on the EJ22. I've heard that a 2" UEL header will get a little power on the butt dyno, but I'd bet it's more a placebo from the boxer rumble.

Myself, I'm building it 95% for the sound and feel, and 5% for any power gains. That's why I'm also building an axleback exhaust with a grapefruit shooter. Ok, I was conservative when I bought it, it's more of a large navel orange shooter (only 4")

• 4 weeks later...
I'd be interested in some uel headers. My plan of having Dual port borla replicas modified to single port isnt going to well since i cant find any one near me to weld them up

I posted up about these on RS25 as well (I think you replied on there)

You can't PM on here yet, so just shoot me an email: cal_look_zero@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...