Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy wagon - HG Leak?Pre-Purchase q's

Update:

I own half of a 96 Legacy Wagon ;)

The owner didn't have his original title (only a photocopy) available, so he has to go to the DMV and get a new one.

So I won't have it in my name for another week or so.

That's ok, that'll give me time to strategize, plan, and budget my repair strategy.

Does anyone need a cargo topper for a Subaru Legacy? It's a Sears X-cargo brand. I believe it's 18-20 cu. ft.

I'll add the model/info/photo once i can take a nice day-time photo, but there's that. I'd be willing to give it to one of y'all if you promise to give it a good home :)

Whoa..... nuh uhhh. No way I'd go for that. No Title, No Cash, period. That sounds EXTREMELY SKETCHY to me. Why does he just have a Picture of the title?

Timing belt kit w/ water pump and oils seals. http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-1-8-2-2L-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-EJ18-EJ22-Timing-Belt-Kit-AISIN-Water-Pump-/260925109309?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cc059343d#ht_2976wt_779

Aisin makes the OE water pumps for just about every Asian car maker.

Whoa..... nuh uhhh. No way I'd go for that. No Title, No Cash, period. That sounds EXTREMELY SKETCHY to me. Why does he just have a Picture of the title?

Yeah... best of luck with that. :-\

Copies or duplicate titles provide countless opportunities for crooks... the car might not even belong to them, the car could have been wrecked and the photocopy is hiding that the real title is salvage, the title may have been handed over to a loan shop as part of a title loan, etc, etc.

Did you at least get a bill of sale, stating what you paid, the VIN, and with the seller's signature?

Timing belt kit w/ water pump and oils seals. http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-1-8-2-2L-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-EJ18-EJ22-Timing-Belt-Kit-AISIN-Water-Pump-/260925109309?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cc059343d#ht_2976wt_779

Aisin makes the OE water pumps for just about every Asian car maker.

Nah we good.

I have a photocopy of the original title.

They live 4 blocks away from us and they're super, super cool folks. They just aren't car people is all. He went monday morning and the Duplicate title is on its way.

Anyway, I had my attorney (a client of mine:)) draw up a quick "Bill of Sale" / sales contract.

I paid them half so they could pull the sign and not sell it. I have 30 days to get the title and pay them the rest, otherwise they owe me $400 :)

Alls good.

I just can HARDLY WAIT to get that title!!! I hope it comes today. DMV said by Friday. So I could be driving this puppy Friday if all goes well. I've set aside time to do DMV duty

OK Folks, we got the car!

She was down 2 quarts of oil and is already leaking like a stuck pig. The engine SOUNDS way better now, so that's a bit of a relief.

Put air in the tires, now i just need to give it a good wash/vacuum/detail! TOmorrow.

I have a feeling that's why there wasn't an oil slick underneath; she was outta oil :( Hoping its just the oil pan gasket, we shall see.

Questions: The owner's manual is vague on coolant level. I can see about an inco of coolant in the overflow reservoir when the car is running for a bit.

Should i simply buy a bottle of coolant and fill to the "full" line? Do i need a premix for that?

The better idea would be to flush the cooling system entirely. Takes about 1.5 gallons for a full drain and refill. It would be a good time to replace the radiator hoses and thermostat as well.

Yup you're right. I'll do that tomorrow when I change the oil.

FWIW the radiator hoses are fresh and rubbery. I have the maint. records and that was changed sometime in 8/10. The thermostat as well.

Definitely gonna do the flush though.

Found a new issue while poking around for my oil leak,

driver front strut "Dust Cover" has a hole in it. A rubber boot looks kinda like a CV boot.

It looks pretty fresh actually. Very possible I did it today, as this car wasn't driven really in the last year (except to change street parking spots).

Can i just get a new "Dust Cover" and slap it on there? Should i not worry?