Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adventure Subaru - Lifted 1997 Impreza Outback (Lots of pics)

AdventureSubaru

Time for some pics.

imp1_zpsydg9mskr.jpg

Adventure car II towing Adventure car 1. Been a long time since these cars were side by side. The impreza towed behind rather nicely. Doesn't seem like the suspension or subframes were bent.

Imp3_zpseiobtr0s.jpg

That rear door was also an assumption. It was not latched all the way and the door was locked. Once I opened it and closed it, it sits flush, so the body may not be as bad as I thought.

Imp2_zpsekoivbz6.jpg

Here's the real damage. The fenders both bent - not big deal. But the roof has caved a bit on the drivers side. All the doors and glass are fine.

The thought is - cut a roof and pillars from a junker, weld it in with some structural reinforcements. Add a roll bar as I doubt it would yet be strong as stock.

Then maybe a camouflage paint job and a new roof rack.

I'm going to clean out the inside of all the busted glass and junk the kid left behind and take it for a drive up the mountain to make sure it's not tweaked by much if at all before decision is made. But this may NOT be the end of the adventure car.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Damn, sorry to hear about that! It's always tough when a car you've put your time and effort into gets smashed, I know that feeling all too well...

IDK about replacing the pillars and roof on a monocoque though - you might want to look into where the body panels are stiched together and pull the sections apart there rather than cut and shut, just to make it a bit stronger. Seam welding some more the firewall and other pillars would give the passenger compartment more strength too while retaining the front and back end as crumple zones.

i was given a rolled explorer years ago we just jacked the roof back up and drove it for yeas sold it was given back to me sold it again came back towed my roo 1100 miles to the hammers and back sold it again this time it came back with a blown motor and a doner explorer so now i for some reason have a huge pile of explorer parts and i hate the explorers and i had a roo tha some one choped the a piller and b piller and repaired the roof i had no idea there was a problem other than all the welds rusted out and there was nothing holding the windshield in just push the roof back up and call it a day maybe add a role bar in if your worried about it going belly up again

The thought is - cut a roof and pillars from a junker, weld it in with some structural reinforcements. Add a roll bar as I doubt it would yet be strong as stock.

This seems like a perfectly reasonable approach. It wouldn't take much time or money to make this car right.

I have a notice set in Row52.com to notify me when an impreza comes into one of the local pick n pulls. Then I'll be borrowing a cordless sawzall and hunting for a roof, windshield and rear window.

Or... I am giving some thought to an Impreza UTE. It already has baja seats. What if I cut the rear roof out, move the rear windshield forward, seal the holes and go crazy with some rhino liner.... trim it into a two seater pickup. It could be the missing link between the Brat and the Baja.

These are thoughts I'll roll around in my head while I'm on vacation next week.

• Like 1

I have a notice set in Row52.com to notify me when an impreza comes into one of the local pick n pulls. Then I'll be borrowing a cordless sawzall and hunting for a roof, windshield and rear window.

Or... I am giving some thought to an Impreza UTE. It already has baja seats. What if I cut the rear roof out, move the rear windshield forward, seal the holes and go crazy with some rhino liner.... trim it into a two seater pickup. It could be the missing link between the Brat and the Baja.

These are thoughts I'll roll around in my head while I'm on vacation next week.

awesome idea, what are the legalities of driving a hack job on the road in the us?

Varies a little bit state by state. General rule is that if it doesn't look like a death trap, you're good to go. Seen a number of sports cars with truck frames under them as unique street legal 4x4s and a number of "chop top" convertibles. No worries about the legality as long as it's done to be safe. (Which I would do)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, this is the best thread I think I have ever read. And that's coming from 15 years of owning forums, moderating forums and being an active member of over 15 different forums!

You have given me hope that my little beat up 06 impreza obs can be the wife and I's adventure car!

• 1 month later...

Wassup ultimate subaru i am the newest keeper of the adventure subaru. Not sure what my plans are for it yet, but after reading the build thread i realise it would be a shame to not continue the thread, in some form at least. For now im stoked to drive it as is on my dirt road.

• 2 years later...