Ultimate Subaru Message Board

we're talking 99 leg l sedan 30th anniv 5-sp with a build date of either 11/98 or 11-19-98 and an EJ221 as shown on dataplate. appears to be a sohc, original mso said 142 hp net, cars101 says it's a 142 hp phase 2, what is the deal here? btw, the owner's manual shows that possible engine types are EJ221 and EJ223. just trying to determine whether it's interference or not. also, the recommended cam belt change interval in the schedule of maintenance is 105,000 miles. much beyond that, this is a fine example of a sube, imho. thanks in advance.

Since you are located in "somewhere" it's a guess as to what you have, let's :DASSuME:D you're in N. America. The 2.5 phase 2 showed up in the MY00 Legacy and Outbacks. Other parts of the world it showed up earlier. The Phase 2 did show up in the Forester and Impreza models in MY99 in N. America.

You should be able to ID the number of cams by looking at the head configuration.

He's asking about a 2.2L engine.

I don't know when the "phase" change was for those. Were they not always SOHC though? I know that there were changes and the hp got bumped a couple of times thru the 90's with those engines.

Commuter

yes i was talking about a usa ej22. someone said phase 1 was non-int and phase 2 was int. what is the deal here? i think there is some lore involved here as i was told that my old 928 was int however when it blew the cam belt on the kansas turnpike nothing was broken. again, it is an ej221 on the dataplate on the left front of the engine bay. regardless, this sob seems like a tough mo-fo as in bulletproof.

The Phase II EJ22 arrived in 1999. The EJ22 has always been SOHC, no DOHC EJ22 ever came to the USA.

The big changes were changes in the cylinder head, notably a switch to solid lifters and a slight CR ratio increase. And yes, these changes resulted in the Phase II becoming an interference engine. Some slight bottom end changes occurred as well.

The Phase II EJ22 mostly seems to be as reliable as the Phase I, however, be aware, I believe the Phase II was the engine plagued with piston slap. It really doesn't harm the engine, nor hurt performance, but it can wake your neighbors up as you go to work :lol:

yes i had read about going to solid lifters and hi-top pistons with short skirts and a bumped compression ratio, but i really want to know whether this particular engine EJ221 is non-int or int. as i had previously posted, the production date was in 11/98. as to waking the neighbors up, i think the ludwigs, strat and PA can do that quite well thank you;)