Ultimate Subaru Message Board

] [ that close to having my 82 Brat running...

Guest McBrat

Guest McBrat

got the fuel filler connector hose from qman, (so part of his hatch lives on in Iowa now too....)

no power to fuel pump though... I have tested it when it was out, and it was fine... now just need to find the power problem.... (i hate electrical problems :( )

rear half of lift is in, just waiting for LSD rear and axles...

Mick, isn't 82 the year of the transition from a voltage regulator controled fuel pump to a Fuel Pump Control Unit ( FPCU )? Do you know which you have?

A real easy fix that retains the safety aspect of "only while running is it pumping" was brought to light by Noah.

Such an elegant solution it is.

Guest McBrat

yes it it the transition year... the FSM was not very helpful really. well, I guess that remains to be seen... in the FSM it shows the power to the fule pump coming from the negative coil terminal.....

I haven't done any diagnosing with it yet, as I kept working on pulling all the AC parts off, and getting the lift in, and cleaning my garage so I could at least walk in it :)

I'll have to wait til we are on the new board so I can search for Noah's fix just in case....

Guest tomrhere

Gets more interesting all the time. Not trying to hijack your post McBrat, but this kinda fits in with your problem too. The fuel pump in my '82 didn't run when I first got it, well it did, but they had it hot wired to a switch. Haven't found out why it doesn't run "normally wired" yet. Did my own little wire around, using "key on" hot wire, a relay, and an oil pressure switch. Hmm, pump is supposed to be powered from coil. Hmm, different type pump than the rest of the pack. Would that explain the reason the pump on my '82 is noisier than than the one on my '86? Really rattles something fierce, and at various levels of loudness, and noise sounds. Don't remember ever hearing an electric pump make this much racket, in any car. Hmmm, maybe I need a new pump?!?....Tom

Guest McBrat

well, I haven't looked at the fuel pump wiring yet, but I actually now have wheels on the back, and all the brakes bled...

TIP: when installing rear disc brakes that have been sitting for over 2 years, waiting to be installed, check the bleeders to make sure they haven't gotten all gummed up :)

luckily I had some on a set of spare front calipers that were good shape yet. put 'em in, and presto, bleeding brakes :)

I got my steering extension in after a few trial and errors on how to extend it a bit :) .

started to work on the struts, but with the BFHing I need to do, I figured the neighbors might get upset if I started it at 2:30 AM :eek: