Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

One of my headlights was put in upside down. Some people are not Anal enough.

2012_0321AE.jpg

because some people have no clue that it does make a difference.

I miss the old quad headlight set ups, where I could adjust the low & high beams seperately...

That sounds like a good deal! Thank you.

Anyway, now I am weighing the option of coming onto a EA82 rear disc set, to swap onto my Loyale, so I can then swap the larger rear drums onto my GL. Since one of the brake lines just started dripping today sitting in the driveway LOL! I would need to replace the lines, Wheel Cylinders, the drums, the shoes and springs. So would it be cheeper to come onto a set of rear discs? What is the going rate for a disc swap?

This is the type of thing that I don't have much money for right now, but am I am debating if I should spend money to replace the stock brake set up or just swap entirely, what is the better option here?

I would also need some EA82 wheels at the same time, since the EA81 wagon wheels will not fit over the rear disc. Scott, I might need to borrow your stock steelies after all, depending on which way I go.

Trying to get stuff lined up so everything flows.

I wouldn't spend any money on replacing drum stuff.

SO, I took out the Dealer installed CC today (Cause I seriously do not want it lol) I think I removed everything, correct? Please let me know if these pictures show everything for the dealer cruise control.

Also, I am planning on selling the complete assy if somebody wants it, PM me if so.

The only piece I do not have is the switch which the Clutch peddle presses, it was plastic and had been broke at some point. Everything else is there and functional

2012_0322AA.jpg

2012_0322AB.jpg

2012_0322AC.jpg

Is this also part of the cruise assy? It is clipped into the same dash harness.

2012_0322AE.jpg

This wire used to connect to the cruise harness, it runs up into the steering column. Do I need to remove this as well?

2012_0322AF.jpg

And this?

2012_0322AG.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else I need to remove for a complete cruise assy.

That is the part that melted into my intake 110 miles into my trip back with the 85Gl hatchie.....

it is part of the resonator air valve/reed suction valve, that "makes the catalyst cleaner".

Remove it NOW before yours turns to melty gooo. Block off the inlet down low from the exhaust with a quarter, and block off the other portion to the air filter......

That is the part that melted into my intake 110 miles into my trip back with the 85Gl hatchie.....

it is part of the resonator air valve/reed suction valve, that "makes the catalyst cleaner".

Remove it NOW before yours turns to melty gooo. Block off the inlet down low from the exhaust with a quarter, and block off the other portion to the air filter......

I was indeed thinking about removing it, just wasn't sure what it was. I might see about this tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Also, can I eliminate all this Charcoal canister stuff without throwing an engine code? I want to clean up as many un-needed vac lines as possible.

2012_0322AI.jpg

2012_0322AJ.jpg

Some of the wiring will stay with the car, unless you want to swap wiring harness, as most of that was wired for all options in most Subarus.

Not going to go back to check pics, so do you have CC buttons in the steeringwheel? That would be "Factory" installed CC. CC "on" switch should be on the dash, I think......

A seperate stalk lever on the steering column with the "set, resume, decel" controls would be "add on". That,, could actually be removed, and different trim installed.

Both myy '85, and the White '86 BRAT had CC. But everything was under the dash except the stalk switch on the column. Nothing under the hood except the vac line going to the manifold.

Neither worked, and I couldn't/haven't found much info on troubleshooting that type.

Yes, this indeed dealer installed. It does have the push bottom added to the lower right side of the dash (Which has now been removed) I will get a plug or put a offroad light switch in its place lol.

I forgot about the Stalk on the column, I will have to remove that. And that answers a question I had prior, so thank you!

I just wanted to make sure any wiring that can be removed, has been, as I don't want to send somebody something that is not complete.

As for that passenger side headlight, it was very clean, no moisture in it and no rust. Although, there is another dude up in Anchorage that has a bunch of EA82 parts, he might have one. PM "86GL-10trbosdn" about it :)

I think tundra brat has it covered he's got the same resources I do lol

Just to clarify I don't have a bunch of parts but about an hr from here's theres a whole yard with all kinds of subarus 85-2011.

Edited by AKghandi

I'm heading to Wadsworth myself on Monday for a few legacy bits. That loyale is nice for a midwest car. Not sure why it ended up there.

They only have one First gen Legacy. a 1990 Legacy wagon (Red) so hopefully that IAC will be in working order.

I got a good working hood latch assy with cable/handle from a local picknpull, it came out of a Rust free 1981 4WD Hatch, CA car, has plaid/tan interior. Someone took the motor out once and repainted the engine bay and the motor! Really clean car, wow.

No more hood pins for me Ma! I am going to get the front bumper and hood off this car, maybe a fender as well.

Why not try to get the whole car. Lots of money to be saved in 1 parts car.

Cause I don't have $400 to blow on a car I have no where to put. Plus I would just end up fixing it. Possibly drop the motor and trans in from the Wagon and then junk the Ski body.

Edited by TheLoyale