Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I'm really getting excited now, I want to redrill my hubs, get those 16" Steelies. I also want a Brat fuel door (Which is flat like a body panel) I want to hear this baby fire up again! Only heard it once a few months ago. It will be a notable day for sure!

I think I will get my rockers welded up first and then worry about the Fuel tank and Delivery lines.

I'm really getting excited now, I want to redrill my hubs, get those 16" Steelies. I also want a Brat fuel door (Which is flat like a body panel) I want to hear this baby fire up again! Only heard it once a few months ago. It will be a notable day for sure!

I think I will get my rockers welded up first and then worry about the Fuel tank and Delivery lines.

:headbang:

I have a few spares... I didn't think the wagon body had exactly the same curvature though...

If you remember the radio that came in the silver xt i junked, it was the "DUAL" brand mp3/usb player that is shorter than a standard radio and should fit.

I vote for finding another console to hack up and keeping the original for the car if you decide to go back for show/sale, original condition.

I've seen a bit of the custom Radio surrounds people do using wood, some turn out well, some not so much.

CD players existed in 1983, why Subaru didn't put one in this car is beyond me. Haha! :-p

Anyway, I got the bumper ends from SuperBrat Monday. They look good. I cleaned them up and are ready to install once the bumper goes on.

I am also finishing up on floor tube welding and will then assess the rockers once they arrive. I have a pretty good idea on how I'm going to go about it.

Better picture of the new hood.

2012_0411AB.jpg

get me sizes, i will make it so

Pooparu makes the Ski decals so I've heard. As for the bottom rocker decal, that would be pretty easy to make in a matching blue vinyl with the lettering cutouts. I will measure the original, and then send you the measurements sometime.

Going nuts with the decal making now eh? Awesome! :)

Cleaned up and repainted the Front support/structure with Gloss High solids.

2012_0414AB.jpg

2012_0414AA.jpg

2012_0414AD.jpg

2012_0414AC.jpg

When I do the clutch, I will then paint the entire engine bay gloss black.

I also got my tank today! Cleaned it up a bit, and then coated that with High solids.

2012_0414AF.jpg

I then coated it with Undercoating to protect that paint.

2012_0414AL.jpg

2012_0414AM.jpg

2012_0414AN.jpg

I also repainted the mirrors and used Stainless Allen Head screws.

2012_0414AH.jpg

2012_0414AI.jpg

2012_0414AJ.jpg

2012_0414AK.jpg

Also finally got the rear tube back up (That was fun)

2012_0414AO.jpg

2012_0414AR.jpg

2012_0414AS.jpg

This is the Fuel pump bracket, Coated with High solids and Stainless bolts.

2012_0414AQ.jpg

High-Solids epoxy paint is at least 65 percent solid components, such as binders, pigments and additives. The solids are mixed with a solvent as a base. Because the solvent content of high-solids epoxy is low, its viscosity is three to four times greater than in other paints. The paint can be thinned by applying heat, pressure or a combination of the two. Epoxy paint forms an adhesive coating that is strong and resistant to the elements.

High-solids epoxy paints were developed as primers that need little surface preparation. Their ability to cover up rust and multiple layers of old paint makes them a popular choice when painting tarnished metal or surfaces with paint buildup. High-solids epoxies also protect against corrosion, and they do not contain lead. The paints can be applied in several layers depending on the degree of coverage necessary.

I am familiar with High-Soild compounds as I use Floor wax with the same ability, they are very durable and last longer to muddy boots and chairs wilth rollers, ect.

Edited by TheLoyale

moving right along again. looking very nice. i cant wait til its ''done''. i miss my 83 real bad now, grass growing seats and all. as far as decals, ya, im getting my feet wet finally. that and my buddy just got a nice plotter lol. keep it up! RV