Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

EA81 fires right up and runs! No leaks other then my Rad pissing like a horse.

It also redlined when I first started it, Throttle cable came off its track and got stuck half open (Whoops)

Seems to rev down slow? Is this normal for a carb motor?

Problem is i cant take the rear suspension off to attack the rusty areas.

Why not? Mine came out. My car looked worse then yours I think?

I wonder if the motor is running off whats left in the float bowl? Maybe this is why it doesn't run very smooth. I'm gonna seafoam it once I get a new rad where I can let it run longer then 30min.

New pics later tonight.

I need to run some brake line, and wait on rear discs from Subruise (Axle nut was bustin' his balls so I heard lol)

This is how I've joined the new lines, Both hard lines almost touch in the junction, the rubber hose/clamps are just there to make sealed connection as I didn't want to use Unions and flares.

2012_0424AF.jpg

Rear suspension, Tank, Diff, Driveshaft all up.

2012_0424AA.jpg

2012_0424AE.jpg

Open cat. Mid pipe broke off long ago, the other ownered tried to clamp it back on, but it wasn't sealed so I found. Gonna make my own exhaust.

2012_0424AC.jpg

Need a new Radiator.

2012_0424AG.jpg

I recently had a Board memeber tell me not to long ago, that no matter what I did to my Air cleaner cover, it wouldn't look good because it was so rusty, and that I should just paint it with hammered paint.

Well, here were the results. You be the judge.

Removed:

2012_0424AA-1.jpg

Stripped:

2012_0424AB-1.jpg

Wire Wheeled:

2012_0424AC-1.jpg

Primed:

2012_0424AD.jpg

Painted:

2012_0424AF-1.jpg

2012_0424AG-1.jpg

Finished:

2012_0424AI.jpg

2012_0424AJ.jpg

Please, Do not, tell me what I can and cannot do. This took me all of 1 hour from start to finish, I think it was worth it vs a Hammered finish. Now I just need to refinish the rest of the Air cleaner assembly.

Also, where can I get new ones of these? I would like stainless is possible.

2012_0424AK.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

2012_0424AJ.jpg

Please, Do not, tell me what I can and cannot do. This took me all of 1 hour from start to finish, I think it was worth it vs a Hammered finish. Now I just need to refinish the rest of the Air cleaner assembly.

Also, where can I get new ones of these? I would like stainless is possible.

2012_0424AK.jpg

That looks great!

Those are usually called wing nuts, that's what I'd start searching for.

Breather top looks good. :)

I may have some better looking wingnuts for you. Have to dig around out in the garage some. But really thinking I have some in better shape/condition.

Not sure if you would find them in stainless, but it is possible....

Yep, was thinking stainless wingnuts as well. Although a wingnut looking wingnut would be tacky on this lol. I'll have look around and see what I can find in a M6x70 pitch?

Tom, if you can indeed find them, I would like them :) No real rust though, you know me :D

I am not on the quest of non rotted front fenders. The bottom rears on mine are gone, the mud flap was held on with one screw. I need 1983+ EA81 fenders, I think '80-'82 have the antenna on the Driver side vs the Passenger like mine.

I have a Wanted ad going. Its a feeler for the mean time while I come up with money. I need to buy a Radiator and hoses first and some fluids to change out.

I waxed my junkyard hood today, faded Calif. paint. but it brought back some of the color lol! No shine though, ah well. Gonna repaint the entire car some day once all the Body work it done. Its gonna be a Ski car rebirth!

We might just see some welded rocker action this weekend. I am planning on removing the passenger side door Saturday, cut out the old rockers, and weld in the new. Trying to get this done in one day so I can put the doors back on. And then repeat for the other side possibly during the week since its gonna be nice out.

Can having no Midpipe on the EA81 make it rev more gutless then the EA82? Idle seems to drop way to slow after rev. Is this something with the choke or throttle perhaps?

I used Dupli-Color Ceramic Engine Enamel in the "Pontiac Blue" Yes I know, a GM color lol. It matches fairly close and the Ceramic paint is very nice (I also used the Ceramic Gray Primer) Any parts store like O'rileys will have it.

Hope this helps you :)

I used Dupli-Color Ceramic Engine Enamel in the "Pontiac Blue" Yes I know, a GM color lol. It matches fairly close and the Ceramic paint is very nice (I also used the Ceramic Gray Primer) Any parts store like O'rileys will have it.

Hope this helps you :)

Sweet I'll check it out! No O'rileys around here, maybe Federated will have it.